chainsaw problem

frexpt

Anyone know anything about chainsaws?

My Stihl saw is about 8 years old and worked pretty reliably during that time.

It has just started playing up and won't run properly. It will start okay, but as soon as the throttle trigger is depressed, it stalls.

I don't think it's a matter of adjustment, perhaps a blockage somewhere. Just wondering if any ideas out there before I take it into the repairers?

If it starts ok it isn't the plug.

If the chain brake or clutch won't let the chain spin freely that can cause a stall but you should be able to hear the engine strain a bit first.

Could be the fuel filter, allows enough for starting but not enough to accelerate the engine. Other wise time to clean the carburetor, they get a build up of varnish internally so restricting fuel. There is also the rubber intake tube from the air filter, they can perish causing the engine to run lean. like wise the vacuum tube may have split where it pushes over the spigot. What state is the air filter after 8 years? Too oily and it will prevent air being drawn in. 

Take it to the repairers and they will say "new carburettor"

Glowplug?  I don't think it's a diesel chainsaw.

btw, I'd start with the airfilter. I had a similar problem (started OKish but then wouldn't run) with my Honda lawnmower and I found that filter had got pretty clogged up. I ended up changing it (rather than trying to revive it) and problem was fixed.

To the OP.

It sounds like the diaphragm within the carb may be damaged.

This link may be useful in showing the inner workings of the carb, and you should be able to obtain a service/repair kit without too much of a problem.

[url]http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/TechGuide_2007.pdf[/url]

I'd be tempted to crank it a few times using carb cleaner and the spark plug removed, then leave it for a few hours before trying to fire it up again.

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="DerekJ"]Glowplug?  I don't think it's a diesel chainsaw.
[/quote]

But Q & SS use diesels, slightly heavier, no problem of course for stalwarts.

[/quote]

Care to elaborate?

[/quote]

Just as I suspected. It's the long service interval that convinced you to buy one.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

To the OP.

It sounds like the diaphragm within the carb may be damaged.

This link may be useful in showing the inner workings of the carb, and you should be able to obtain a service/repair kit without too much of a problem.

[url]http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/TechGuide_2007.pdf[/url]

I'd be tempted to crank it a few times using carb cleaner and the spark plug removed, then leave it for a few hours before trying to fire it up again.

[/quote]

Nice link, thank you. I don't suppose you have any info/links on French or UK suppliers?

You'll need to identify which carb is fitted but [url]http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/ZAMA_Carb_Repair_Kits.html[/url] offer a good range of repair kits covering both Zama and Walbro carbs, far cheaper than buying the 'Stihl' branded equivalent, and they'll ship to Europe.

Send them an email with details of your saw, model and serial number, and I'm sure they'll be able to help. Failing that, send me a PM with the details and I'll see if I can source a kit locally.  

It might be something else but, as DerekJ suggested, check the air filter before spending on repairs. The filter on any small machine working in a dusty environment will quickly clog. The engine might still start but will not be able to draw sufficient air to produce any power. This is definitely the case with my chain saw and, like Derek, the lawn mower, too. Keeping the filter clean will also extend engine life.

Strip it down and clean it thoroughly, then rebuild and try again. This will probably work and should take no more than an hour with basic tools.

Don't mess with the carb settings unless you know exactly what you are doing - if it ran ok before, the mixture settings will not have changed since then, so running problems are most likely to be dirt somewhere.

Had a similar problem with my McCulloch. Took off the carb and blew through the jets in the carb body with my portable air compressor, worked fine after that. Do it on a clean surface to make sure you can see any small pieces that may fall out.