Sheen X300 Flame gun

f1steveuk

I've just managed to pick up a nearly new Sheen X300 Flame Gun, at a very good price. I have borrowed one, and used "Petrole" which I assumed is parafin under another name, but the flame didn't seem as powerful as when I used one in the UK.

Any one know if Petrole is Parafin, or a docked version there of or is there somewhere you can get "parafin"???

Just putting my oar in as this is a flame gun post.

Anyone who hankers for a gas weed gun may be interested to know that you can buy a long big gas blow torch with squeeze control (but not piezo ignition) at Leroy Merlin for under 20€ in the soudrage section. Unfortunately there's a further cost and a hunt for a high output regulator, but this applies to gas weed guns too.

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/chalumeau-avec-levier-diametre-45-kemper-e66653

Works for me.

Steve

I've been told of people running these Sheen's on diesel and even Kerosene, which would be apt as it's like having a hand held pulse jet!

I've also been told there are several grades of parafin, and that the one you buy for heaters may not work as well in a flame gun, but I am not going to add parafin to the list of things to be carted from the UK for use at home!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get to the bottom of this Steve?

I found what I assumed to be a flamegun at the side of a private lane, i used to use it for softening tarmac when I installed gates and also for "blokes" gardening!

I am currently filliong in a trench with builders sand (sable à lapin) which at minus 8 has to be broken up with a sledgehammer, its in the trench now but in fist size chunkes so I thought I would give the flamegun a go, boystoys and all that, I am just going out for some petrole but will only buy a small amount in case you reply.

I did in my ignorance try running the thing on petrol which was rather exciting, trouble is I had no idea what it was and just a vague idea that I had seen the road gangs use them, thanks to Google I now know its a Sheene X300 like yours, I am dead chuffed they still make them and spares are available.

Editted, there is a bit fo what I think is parafin left in it, I will try dosing it with gasoil and see what happens before buying any more.

Yep, ran mine on "Petrole" and it was fine. I looked into the different grades of petrole/parafin, and it would appear that the problem it causes is blocking the jet. I've now looked on good old "Fleabay" and a complete service kit is only £18 and includes a tool to unblock the jet ( as well as all the seals and o rings and a wick).

Someone gave me Sheen's contact details, and a lot of the parts (and everything is available) is cheaper direct from them. I suspect diesel would work, but be very smokey and hard to light, as for petrol, yes I think that would be a bit dangerous!

I'm spoilt for choice now clearing snow, petrol leaf blower or massive heat!!!

I've also learnt now I was using it wrong to clear weeds. Apprently a quick zap kills the plant, leave it and in two or three hours they fall over! A day or two later, burn them off.

I've race tuned my, changing the plastic and alloy fittings for brass, just need an excuse now!

Yeah guy, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!

I had fun with the diesel mix, a bit smoky but worked OK, my pump seal was a bit shagged so I will need  a service kit, could you give e their details please.

I think mine is an older maybe vintage model because all the fittings are brass and very heavy.

It will make a good debt collecting instrument [6]

Beat me to it! Really really helpful, and I thought customer service was a thing of the past. The only down side is (although it may have changed now), they only except cheques, they don't do cards.

I've noticed Ebay is begining to list more and more of them, usually "refurbished", apprently becoming very sought after, being all "green" and the like!!!