gardening at alttitude .....

Pads

Is there a web site or book that tells you what can be planted at different altitudes ? Im at about 1800m and see a huge difference in what is planted in my village and other villages down the hill......

Im more interested in fruit and nut trees and fruit bushes.

I have spoken to a few people in my village but they dont  know or dont care

Any idea's ? Ta x 

Not aware of any books Pads and in fact it is not altitude itself that is the issue.  The issue is that as you go up in the world (so to speak) the temperatures fall.

So to take my example until a few years ago, we lived in Germany in the Rhine valley.  We had a holiday home in the Ardèche beside the Rhone valley (both large river valleys oriented N/S).  The French house gained (as in warmer temperatures) by being 800km South of the German one but lost by being 850m higher up.

Net result - almost no difference in temperatures throughout the year.  So we grew exactly the same in France as we did in Germany - and with a few exceptions like parsnips and artichokes (Jerusalem) this truned ot to be the same as our French neighbours.

So based on this very unscientific view 100m gain in height will mean you can grow what is grown 100km north of you.

Thanks for your reply Andy .

I also thought along simular lines . Trouble is where we are gets much hotter and much colder than I have ever seen 1800 miles north. I can grow toms out side in the summer,  here in Cornwall I couldnt or not as well or as fast as I can there .  I do see alot of simular things grow in france as here . But wonder if walnuts , figs, peaches could suvive -18 and worse in the winter . I planted a fig tree 2 years ago out there it got through last year but it wasnt as cold as this ...so looking forward to the summer to see if it has survived this one.

So at 1800 FEET - 550Metres you should be comparing with places 550 Kilometres north not 1800 MILES.

Slight mix up in units PADS.

I also eluded to the fact that both houses were in a similar geographic location - side of a major river valley oriented N/S.  Also as it happens similar distances from the sea based on a due west view.

So you should look for somewhere similar - open area about 100-150km east of the sea.

On the basis of that, I would say:

Peaches - only on a protected South facing wall.

Figs - will certainly survive - but to fruit need to be in a protected location - again South wall would be best.  We have a fig on a South wall which refuses all my efforts to kill it - but refuses to produce any fruit.

Walnut should be no problem - we grow them at 900+metres

[quote user="andyh4"]

Walnut should be no problem - we grow them at 900+metres

[/quote]

Man that's one big tree [:-))]

Figs not fruiting can be because of too rich a soil.  Any kind of nutrient and it will produce lots of leaves and nothing else  My fig trees are planted in concrete and rubble and they produce hundreds of fruit.

Well if planted in the rotting remains of the mortar that has fallen out of the jointing on the stone wall is too rich, ([:)]) you might be right Pierre - but personally I think it is just too exposed and ends up with too short a growing / ripening season

A few moons ago I did the season in Courcheval 1850 and we were told to make cakes with oil rather than butter and to use yoghurt to aid rising. The altitude did affect cakes though I could never bear to use vegetable oil so just made three layer cakes instead. Eggs took longer to boil as I recall and there were other adjustments we were told to make (think we had a little handbook). As I recall we had to make adjustments to scone recipes too.

Something in the back of my mind, probably from school, is telling me that  temperatures drop by 0.5 dgrs C for every 100 metres above sea level. So saying that  the OP's 1800 feet   is something under 600 metres, he should expect to have temperatures roughly around 3 C below what they'd be at sea level. Mmm. Is that right? It doesn't sound much.  Could be a combination of false memory syndrome and bad maths.