Hard Brexit - You WILL need a CDS

Cathar Tours

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NormanH"]
Genuine question since I have never heard the term: what is a red top?
It sounds like a bottle of milk to me but that shows how long it is since I lived in the UK [:D]

[/quote]

Everything you ever needed / wanted to know regarding the term RedTop

ebaynut - I like your uk newspaper categories [:D] I read the Guardian and am addicted to Daily Mail online.
How do you categorise french papers? I used to read the Figaro sometimes , which I thought was quite rightwing (for France). Otherwise the local paper La Depeche du Midi. I once asked people in the paper shop what they thought was a rightwing paper and they weren't sure. But left? Big smiles all round - La Depeche!
Actually I don't think it has a strong political stance, but is very up to date on local news and views.
Each dept has a section and they have reporters in most towns. I still read it online.

C T wrote,

EbayNut - So you can't answer my questions, never mind I didn't expect that you would be able to

O so many questions you have CT. It is said that there are more questions than answers. Why is that ???? :-)

But you refuse to answer my question, you have avoided it now several times and after I asked so nicely. So in case you missed it, here it is again.

#CT wrote,

and then people wonder why the rest of the world laughs at us.

And I wonder who you consider are 'us' ???????

Seeing as I used your name and what you quoted, I would have assumed it was pretty clear I was asking you.

You cannot state 'US', as you are not British, you may call yourself British, you may long to be British, but you are not British. You know it, and I know it.

Its like if I was to move to France, I would not be French.

OK lets clear a couple of things up here. If you hit the reply on a post there is no indication that your replying to that post because clearly this software does not have a thread system where posts sit under an original post at multiple levels so you can't see who the person is responding to. For instance I used the Reply button on ET's post but not replying to him because it makes no difference. He can explain all this in the type of language you might find easier to understand.

Secondly I don't know who EN thinks I am but it's not who he thinks I am. Born in Buckinghamshire of a long line of British citizens, educated there then on to Uni for several years and when I got my degree bummed around a bit before going to work in Germany for Ford R&D. I currently hold a British passport but am applying for a German one although I am currently officially resident here. My mother and father moved to France and my mother died there but my father still lives there. So yes I am British.

You seem to be in the habit of answering a question by asking a non related question, are you sure your not a politician as they seem to do that a lot.

A person who could answer the questions I asked you can be found on YouTube. He is from LBC radio and his name James O'Brien add to that Brexit when you search for him and your discover why UK Law is not imposed by the EU, why the UK has never lost its sovereignty and why the alleged problem with immigration is nothing to do the EU. It will also explain why, by leaving the EU, the UK will lose out on just over 40 trade deals it currently holds with countries outside the EU and more.

[quote user="Cathar Tours"] ................ UK Law is not imposed by the EU, why the UK has never lost its sovereignty and why the alleged problem with immigration is nothing to do the EU. It will also explain why, by leaving the EU, the UK will lose out on just over 40 trade deals it currently holds with countries outside the EU and more.[/quote]

A propos of nothing at all, I have been out of the UK since well before the country joined the EU, and have noticed that since then, every problem, large or small, from the fake news about bent bananas to the total failure of the government to control, or even monitor immigration, has always been blamed on the EU.

I'm wondering who/what will be the scapegoat after Brexit?

[quote user="Cathar Tours"] .............

Secondly I don't know who EN thinks I am but it's not who he thinks I am. Born in Buckinghamshire of a long line of British citizens, educated there then on to Uni for several years and when I got my degree bummed around a bit before going to work in Germany for Ford R&D. I currently hold a British passport but am applying for a German one although I am currently officially resident here. My mother and father moved to France and my mother died there but my father still lives there. So yes I am British. ................[/quote]

I think he might want to see your Birth Certificate next[:D]

I wouldn't bother arguing. There are always more rednecks to drown out your voice.......

Gosh Cathar Tours you took that well, if somebody had asked me on a public forum to prove my nationality, I would have none too politely told them where to go. Still I guess he was just trying to impress his leader, or perhaps he had been watching too much Fox News, you know the only channel that broadcasts the truth.

Nice to see that he has apologised for doubting how British you really are.[;-)]

I don't want to get into the Brexit ding dong here please;  but I'm intrigued by Cathar Tours explanation of nationality - and his/her decision to apply for a German passport.

How is it possible to apply for a German passport, if one's parents are British, he/she born in Britain, now living in France - but applying for German passport.

I fit into that category - can I get a German passport ?  Then I can remain an eu citizen - problem sorted.

How easy is it to get a German passport then ?

Or could I get a French one, even though I'm British, but I'm now living in France.

Becoming very confused; thought passports were issued by country in which one was born, unless one became 'citizen' of another country and gave up one's original nationality.

So what am I missing about this decision to apply for German passport by British citizen ?

Oh dear - life's complicated.

Chessie

Chessie - Do you live in Germany, are you officially resident in Germany, have you got a job here and will your company sponsor you if you want to take up German nationality. Are you also willing to give up your UK citizenship once the UK leaves the EU.

Technically it is called nationalisation unless you have close relatives or children that are German by birth in which case it's called citizenship, well that's how I understand it.

Nationalisation requires that you have been resident in Germany, paying taxes etc for 8 years. Basically from what I have read here it's not far apart from the French requirements but with one exception, “discretionary naturalisation.” where the eight years does not apply and most of the requirements are already met. My application is being done under the “discretionary naturalisation.” system through my employer. Indeed they are doing everything for me (and about 20 other Expats working here) including the paperwork etc.

There is plenty of stuff on the internet, some correct and some not.

Only EU citizens can hold dual nationality in Germany so once the UK has properly left I will have to renounce my British citizenship. It's not that simple it would seem to do this and they, believe it or not, may refuse to allow you to do so. Once you have given that up you will lose obviously any rights (OAP etc.) it would seem.

If you have any problems have a look at the German government website.

PS. Don't forget once you get it you may also be eligible for German national service if you were born after 1956.

PPS. I live in Germany not France but my Father lives in France and I visit him often. Questions I ask on this forum are for his benefit not mine.

"Once you have given that up you will lose obviously any rights (OAP etc.) it would seem. "

How does that work then CT - are you saying that an immigrant who has worked all his life in the UK, would not have the right to an OAP if he's never become a British citizen? Seems very wrong if that's the case. Or, would he only be entitled to it if he remains resident in the UK?

Like ET, I don't think you lose UK pension rights unless you fall below a minimum number of contributing years - I have a feeling that this may now be 10 years, so in your case you do probably lose rights. [I am not sure anyway whether the Uni years of deemed contributions count.]

However anyone with sufficient contribution years keeps their UK pension - such as it is.

You will rapidly recoup your loses in the German system.

I had a quick look around the internet because like you said it is of no interest to me. It seems that once you lose your citizenship/British nationality you get zero entitlement unless there are agreements like with the EU and about ten other countries. The 10 years bit refers to British citizens claiming from abroad, you need 10 years minimum.

[quote user="Cathar Tours"] ............... The 10 years bit refers to British citizens claiming from abroad, you need 10 years minimum.[/quote]

But if you have also worked in other EU countries, the years worked there can be added to those in the UK for the purpose of qualifying for a UK pension, and vice-versa.

Only for as long as the UK remains in the EU, or other arrangements are made, of course, but I think that the welfare of UK pensioners is right at the bottom of TM's list of concerns, if it is even there at all.

[quote user="nomoss"]
[quote user="richard51"]Give the guy a break - read his previous posts. His dad lives in France, not him.

Yep life can be made very complicated.[/quote]

Maybe she/he thinks Cologne is in France?
[/quote]

There's quite a lot of cologne in France.

Other scents also exist.

Nomoss - Sort of true in that you can get a pension but years worked under normal conditions in another EU country don't count. You need 35 years of contributions to get the full current (like today) state pension and I know my father had to buy extra years because I helped him.

Ten years is the starting point, any less and you don't count. According to UK gov website you divide 164.35 by 35 then multiply by the number of years which mean if you have 10 years you get £47 as near as makes no difference.

I think it is disgusting but it was it is. Luckily my minimum pension in Germany today if I retired and had paid all I needed to pay would be around 22k Euros plus any extra "private" pension. Well that's what I am told currently.

[quote user="Cathar Tours"]Nomoss - Sort of true in that you can get a pension but years worked under normal conditions in another EU country don't count. You need 35 years of contributions to get the full current (like today) state pension and I know my father had to buy extra years because I helped him.

Ten years is the starting point, any less and you don't count. According to UK gov website you divide 164.35 by 35 then multiply by the number of years which mean if you have 10 years you get £47 as near as makes no difference.

I think it is disgusting but it was it is. Luckily my minimum pension in Germany today if I retired and had paid all I needed to pay would be around 22k Euros plus any extra "private" pension. Well that's what I am told currently.[/quote]

It's not "sort of true".

I was awarded my UK and Spanish pensions under the conditions I described in my post.

Your father obviously had to make voluntary contributions because he hadn't worked in another EU country to make up his qualifying years.