Plants from UK to France

Fiona

Sorry if this has already been covered but searched through old posts and couldn't find.

Is it okay to take plants from the UK into France????  We normally spend a fortune for hanging baskets and plants in the first few days of our holiday to give some colour around the house for guests arriving later but I wonidered as we are driving this year rather than flying (and the fact my father is a keen gardener and costs less!!!) whether we could transport plants over.

Thanks in advance

Fiona             

I still buy lots of plants in the UK, and from Holland and Belgium) in addition to those I find in France. There is no problem (in most cases) bringing plants from the UK to France; there are just a few that they are touchy about because of diseases. Try bringing in Citrus and (if anyone notices) you'll see what I mean!

Apart from the prices, as a professional garden designer used to the huge range of plants we have available in the UK, I find it hard to supply all those I want to use unless I buy from outside France. Generally, when I have completed a planting plan of, say, 300 varieties, I email it to my old suppliers in Britain to put together for me;  I then drive over and collect them, planting them a few days later in my clients gardens.

Happy gardening

Colin