Garden Fires?

dessiedog

During a conversation with a neighbour last week I was informed that garden fires were no longer allowed and if caught by the fire brigade a fine would be issued. The conversation could not be misunderstood as it was in English as his language skills were / are unfortunately somewhat better than mine! The justification is apparently environmental, to prevent the burning of old engine oil etc.?

I had been on the point of burning an accumulation of garden debris, but took it to the decheterie instead. A couple of days later, however, I noticed that someone else had definitely had such a fire. Can anyone confirm what the current situation is, are fires allowed or not?

Dessiedog

I think this depends on which department you are in. If you post your department someone may be able to give you a definite answer.

In our department (24) fires are banned from May to the end of September.

Hoddy

Rules will vary according to department.

I live in deux-chèvres and the prefet is currently a woman.

I dont bother to enquire about the rules.

My next fire, depending on the weather, probably hedge clippings at the end of april.[:)]

Edit 14:59  04/04/2012.

I live in deux-chèvres and the prefet is currently a woman, so the rules are likely to be daft

Pachapapa :

Users must not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not.

[quote user="Hoddy"]I think this depends on which department you are in. If you post your department someone may be able to give you a definite answer.

In our department (24) fires are banned from May to the end of September.

Hoddy[/quote]

Fires in 24 have been 'interdit' since 14 February this year, owing to the dry weather.

Thanks for replies so far - we are in 64.

From the amount of shrubbery etc deposited at the decheterie, a lot of people don't have garden fires, whilst I quite enjoyed having one once in a while. Certainly quicker than having to take it all to the tip, using fuel in the process? 

In the Lot (46), we had a reminder last week that burning of vegetation of any kind is strictly prohibited.

The first source of information is always the website of your préfecture.

In 64, the burning of "live" (standing) bushes and hedges was prohibited until 30/03/12 (source).

It seems there are no restrictions concerning garden waste... but I haven't look at all the notices... [:)]

I think this may now be a France-wide interdiction for burning domestic and garden waste of any sort.

It's been applicable from 1 January 2012 in the Vendee.

I can't find a way of making a link to the downloadable pdf file, but if you put into Google the words

brulage dechets verts air libre

among one of the top offerings should be a downloadable PDF file from a government site: www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr which spells it out.   Apparently pollution caused by bonfires is going to kill us all.   We are instructed to compost all garden or green household waste, grind it up for mulch, or take it to a dechetterie.  

Easy to say.  

I am an ardent compost-maker but, after my major hedging sprees, getting 5m-long brambles and 3m-tall viciously-spiky blackthorn trees cut up small enough to fit them into the back of a Saxo sounds nigh on impossible.  I don't fancy lashing out hundreds on a deafeningly noisy "broyeur" either - in any case, you have to cut stuff up pretty small before feeding it in. 

And how much extra extra pollution will it cause to drive all your stuff to the dechetterie ?

Angela  [:@]

PS   And, unfortunately, I am sure that applies to stuff burnt in an incinerator, too, PdSal.