Cherries think it's Autumn!

confused of chalus

My four cherry trees ( ancient and enormous, you can't get your arms round the trunks) have decided it's autumn.

This year there are no cherries at all after frost at the wrong time in the spring (what spring?). Now the leaves are turning yellow and orange and falling off.

Can I assume that this is because the tree thinks there's no point in holding on to the leaves as there are no cherries, or am I looking at some kind of horrible disease?

Can anyone reassure me?

Thanks, Kathy

We had some cherries but not as many as usual; and yes, ours has started dropping yellow leaves now. The late frost has done a lot of damage to the fruit trees. Our cherry doesn't look ill, so I'm hoping that next year will be back to normal.

We lost a peach tree completely, it just gave up after the frost.

A friend in my village has lost her abricot tree completely.

One of our walnut trees in the Charente Maritime has given up the ghost.

Our cherry tree has not yielded fruit but I didn't expect it to as I had it lobbed in the winter.

Our mulberry tree has more leaves than ever but the fruit themsleves are not big or juicy or red and not really worth eating or making jam or doing anything else with.

Sorry, if this is not reassuring to you, Confused, but I don't think any of our trees or other plants have performed as in former years.

Sorry to hear about your lack of fruit. However, I am not quite as down as I was.......

Did not make it out at the end of May for the cherries on our tree - would have been very sick if I had and no cherries.

Paul