Not mirabelles

Mrs Trellis

The markets round here sell mirabelles of several shades, yellow

through pink to cherry red, so I wouldn’t rule it out because they are not

yellow. However, we have small plums on our trees – bluey-purple, 4 cm top to

bottom, 3 cm across, obvious “plumy” flesh, but paler and larger than the

damsons I’m used to in the UK, and referred to as “prunes” by the locals. Could

they be what you have? Good aren’t they!!

These might be some form of bullace (béloce).  In their wild format they have the colour and finish of a sloe, are generally spherical in shape and almost precisely the size of a mirabelle  -  but there are various cultivars.

Unlike sloes they are not at all bitter, but quite sharp and perfectly delicious.

Well, strangely enough, for the first ever time here in the UK, I've discovered two or three large and very old trees, on my walk to the doctor's surgery, that have similar fruit. Just like bog standard plums in taste but perfectly spherical and tiny. Someone I spoke to said they were called cherry plums, but I've never heard that before. Are they just due to this year's particular weather?

they're cherry plums, same size as a mirabelle, often start out yellow/orange then mature to a rich purple (if you haven't eaten them by then). Around here is the plum capital of France (Agen) and there's plenty of the larger-fruited trees but these cherry plums are also all over the place and delicious too.

We have loads of these in the garden and I just call them wild plums.  I can eat them by the bucketload.  They also make delicious tangy jelly to serve with meats such as lamb or duck.  Sadly our mirabelle tree didn't survive the harsh winter.

Chrissie (81)