Very large terraccotta (or fake) pots

Angie

I have seen some lovely extra large terracotta pots - I think they are really wine vessels?  Some have space for plants but some are standalone and look great on a terrace.  Does anyone know if they are available to buy in France as we have looked and can't find anything anywhere near this size.  Maybe a trip over the border into Spain?  Not too fussed if they are reconstituted or even (dare I say it) plastic!! as we have quite a largish terrace to fill.

Terracotta isn't always able to withstand frost, so whilst they are fine in Spain they need to be taken indoors in places where the temperature goes below zero. Frost-resistant pots are usually marked as such, but fake ones are marked too, so it's POT LUCK !

Sid is right and I have had quite a lot of experience with terracotta pots!

Most of them laminate after a couple of winters and some break up.  AND I'm talking about expensive ones that say "frost RESISTANT".  In the UK, such pots are a reasonable price and can last many years (particularly if you live in the south or by the sea).

In the 2 parts of France where I have lived, they haven't been able to withstand the prolonged cold and frost in the winters.

A good compromise would be to get large wooden or metal containers and put several terracotta pots (perhaps of different shapes, sizes, etc) in each to create a display but the pots themselves individually will not cost an arm and a leg to replace.

As for plastic, I'd veto that:  they do not grow mosses or a nice patina with age and, IMHO, they look completely naff.

Sorry if you don't like my response....but I wouldn't bother posting if I didn't think I'd at least provoke some thoughts if not influence your actions.

We've got a couple of really large "stone" urns out in France. They look completely realistic but they're actually fibreglass. \i can;t remember how much they were, but they came from Wilkinsons and they certainly weren't particularly expensive.

Just to give you an idea (and, once again, I can assure you that we paid very little for ours) have a look at these: [url]http://www.crinklecrankle.com/products/c-fibreglass-planters-pots[/url]

Silly prices, but the faux-terracotta ones certainly don't look new and plasticky. And a bit of yogurt will probably add to the ageing effect pretty fast.

Ours have now survived some nine winters in France including temperatures as low as minus 14 or 15, with snow.

Fantastic range of ideas, thank you so much everyone.  Yes, we have had the same problem with terracotta pots in the UK and paying extra doesn't seem to make any difference.  I do agree that some plastic pots look naff (so am not offended!!) but the yoghurt suggestion is certainly worth a try.  Will also let you know how I get on if we have a trip over the border into Spain.   We did think about making some wooden planters so that's another idea to try. Thanks again all.