Very tall poplars

mrsblack

We have a long row of poplar trees that will have to come down because they are at risk of being blown down onto the house and will also block a satellite signal for our future UK tv. We like the trees but ..Can we leave a foot or so of trunk that will regrow?

Will the roots be as much a problem as the trees themselves - they are v. v tall?

Can the stumps be left in the ground as they are on the bank of a small stream?

The Agent Immosaid that a company wood fell them as they have a value for matchstick making  -has anyone made any (small ) amount of cash from this?

Thanks in advance.

I had over thirty very tall poplar trees which I had wanted to get rid of for years. I could not find anyone interested but a neighbour found someone for me. He cut them down and paid us about E500 for the wood which he took away. We were left with all the brushwood which took many hours of work and bonfires to get rid of.

Like yours they were along the banks of a stream and had already started to sucker before we left in September. In my worse nightmares we shall be going back to a forest; in my bad dreams I think we shall be going back to a small wood.

Hoddy

If you do leave a small amount of trunk they will regrow, but perhaps with ten stems replacing the single trunk. The roots will be very extensive, perhaps going under the house. We would always advise clients to remove trees just a few at a time to give the soil and chance to recover its structure (i.e.: not damage your home).

Holding the stream together is a good thing so you could cut down one in two, or one in three, and leave the stumps in place. The grow-back could be pruned every couple of years.

There is a market for poplar wood for fruit boxes and matches, amongst other things and if you could locate a local company it would be a good way of getting your trees removed cost free.

Thanks Hoddy,

As you say it is the stuff of nightmares ,but I hope that like you we will get someone. The %00 euros is a nice thought ,but i will try to get the brushwood dealt with somehow as we are retired and really past heavy work. Sorry about the 500 error. It is a pity as we like the poplars.

Thanks Ukhostland. It is a positive that with the trunks left we would have a poplar hedge/screen from the voie communale and we do like poplars.However the roots being left as a continuing worry for the house is a concern. The house is uphill from the poplars - do their roots go uphill to drier land or would they keep close to the lower damp ground of the stream? Taking out the roots gradually might be a possible mix and match solution. Is it expensive to get a big stump taken out?Thanks again for you informative reply.