Artichokes

confused of chalus

I want to grow artichokes from seed both to eat and also to form a hedge at the top of the potager.

For three years I have started the seed, got reasonable germination and little plants. But they always die on me, and the few that survive don't grow big enough to make it through the winter.

I'll need quite a few so dont want to buy as plants. Anyone got any tips? Should I be keeping them in pots for the first year instead of planting in seed bed?

Anyone who has been successful please tell me what is going wrong. Thanks.

Kathy

Sounds like they were too small when you planted them out or it was too early in the year.  When I grew them I was given a bucket full of plant/root.  Planted it and watered it a lot regularly and by the end of the first summer it was producing chokes.

The only problem was that it got too big despite savage pruning, it was a devil to get rid of, it kept coming back, even sending shoots up in the lawn some distance away.  Got it in the end though

I think it's best to plant offsets in the spring. I seem to remember that when we grew these many years ago, our neighbours had just pulled excess shoots off the sidesof their established plants, and we stuck them in the ground, watered them, and they became big and produced edible heads the same year.

I am on holiday in Sicily at the moment, and today have seen several roadside traders selling what appear to be these offsets. So I imagine now is the time to look for them.

Angela