Help - cherries with added protein!

confused of chalus

Anyone of a nervous disposition look away now!

We have had our best ever crop of cherries. Unfortunately almost every one came with an unpleasant, white, wriggly free gift. In case anyone is interested I have de-bugged enough cherries for our needs and it wasn't fun. The birds can feast on the rest.

What I need to know is how to avoid this in the future. Is there any treatment I can use on 15 metre cherry trees, and if so, what and when.

Just can't fancy the clafoutis this year!

Kathy

Kathy,

I suggest you Google "Cherry fruit fly".

Yes there are treatments but these require spraying the trees from bud burst to 14 days before cropping - not something I would want to consider unless you really want to wash each cherry to remove the residues.

A bit of a rock and hard place decision.

Well, we had a reasonable crop of cherries this year, albeit two or three weeks late and without ay wriggly things. However, the vst majority had split by the time that they were ripe something that had not happened in previous years.

I think the answer for pests on the tree may be to use some insecticide bands around the trunk. Most fruit pests seem to arrive via the trunk.

Unlike last year with its late frost we got loads of flowers on our tree. Unfortunately the promise of actual cherries wasn't fulfilled, although we did get enough for a few tarts and some preserves, the buckets-full we had some years ago didn't materialise.

Our tree is very high now and the best fruit is at the top on the new growth, the lower branches being more shaded. I'd like to seriously trim the tree to make it more accessible but the feedback I get says I shouldn't do this!

Anyone got any advice? I presume it would need to be done now and not left until winter? (That advice varies too!).

[blink]

Sid

Maybe a bit drastic, but if you like cherries then one answer would be to buy a new tree. Some 6 years ago I brought across to France a new, at that time, cherry called Giselle. It has a height of about 4 metres and is very prolific, I have never had any problems with wiggly bits or other nasty's and it is a pleasure to prune very moderately each year and pick the fruit due to its height.

CeeJay

That's a piece of advice I have had already, but thanks anyway. At least you'd know what fruit to expect. I don't really relish the job of removing the old one, which is in an ideal spot.

6 years could be pushing it for me too! [:-))] Not that I feel as though I'm at death's door but we would consider moving to a smaller place as we reach our 70's ! 

My French neighbour came up with a strict "No" when I mentioned topping the tree. He said that any fruit tree with a fruit that has a stone must never be pruned. I can't find any reference to this to support it.

Have read everything I can on the subject after googling. The trees are enormous - you can't get your arms round the trunk - so spraying is out. grease on the trunk may help, but apparently these are flying flies not crawly beasts. they over winder in the ground , then hatch and fly up. a strong insecticide on the ground under the trees could do the trick, apparently.

Best advice I ave got was fro my French neighbour. She said to put cherries in a bucket of water with a little vinegar added. apparently the bugs will swim for their lives! I'll try next year.Thanks everyone. Kathy