well water for watering veggies / salad etc

euro

Hi,

we have a well and its full / covered over to keep rubbish out.

I am thinking we should use it to water our veg garden but having never used it before suspect the water sitting in it will be a bit yuk ! but presumably it would come cleaner as it was pumped out.

is it important to have it tested first ?

to be clear we are not going to drink it .

Normally well water is far nicer than tap water for the garden.....and cheaper!

We use ours all the time but if you are worried have it tested at the pharmacy.

The only issue could be the temperature: it comes out of the ground at around 12 degrees and this can be a bit of a shock for heat-stressed plants. Locals often fill up a bath they keep in the garden to allow the water to warm up a bit before use.

Colin - 36210

I would definitely not use water out of the ground for watering anything you are going to eat. You don't know where it's been, it's bad enough having untreated rain water falling on them as it is.

Be safe and buy bottled water for all uses connected with human consumption[;-)][:D]

What about cow manure water then? Eddie read up about it on the internet, and to cut a long story short, uses it to fertilise strawberries .

Definitely necessary to give them a good wash before eating - with bottled water?[;-)]

We use our well water for the vegetables and if I fill a bucket with it there's plenty of gunk and stuff in it, so I wouldn't drink it. But the vegetables and fruits are doing well so I'd say go ahead. However, if you pick lettuces, etc., then I would wash them under the kitchen tap to remove any nasties that the sprayed well water might have left on the leaves.

Should not be a problem to use it, but I would endorse getting it tested.  Some areas of France suffer from ground water pollution from industrial activity - mainly past activity.  If there have been any mining activities in the catchment area, you might just find some things you would rather not put on your food. 

• 2 months later...