composter

mint

Just got one of these things and we have, after a bit of a faff (well, more than a bit actually), have managed to get all the bits more or less slotted together.

The only level bit of ground we have is in full sun.  Does that matter?

Any tips for starting and maintaining the process?

I have read about the "green" and "brown" waste that can go in it and have started collecting the recommended articles in the little bin that came with the composter.

Another little thing to do to "SAVE THE PLANET" then?[:D][;-)]

Oh, SWMint, you've started something here!

Composting is a subject all of its own - a bit like Boeuf Bourgignon, everybody has their own little way.

Anyway, for us its all peelings, saladstuff, tea bags, shredded paper, etc. we don't put in citrus skins nor any fruit stones.

Full sun is no problem, but water it from time to time & a sprrinkling of compost accelerator helps.

[quote user="Gardian"]Oh, SWMint, you've started something here!

Composting is a subject all of its own - a bit like Boeuf Bourgignon, everybody has their own little way.

Anyway, for us its all peelings, saladstuff, tea bags, shredded paper, etc. we don't put in citrus skins nor any fruit stones.

Full sun is no problem, but water it from time to time & a sprrinkling of compost accelerator helps.[/quote]

Gardian, what on EARTH is compost accelerator?  Is that what it is, earth?[:D]

I have read about things like nematodes.  There, thought I'd write that as I love the sound of that word, so intriguing and could be a nice thing with which, to use your word, "sprinkle" your conversation with[:D]?

Its a bit like the Eparcyl stuff that you put down the loo if you've got a fosse septique.

I buy it in 'Botanique', which is a chain garden centre, but you may not have a branch near you. A large pack lasts me ages, but someone will doubtless come on and tell us how to make your own.

I'm given to understand that piddling into one's compost has an excellent effect, but somewhat undignified wouldn't you say?

[quote user="Gardian"]Its a bit like the Eparcyl stuff that you put down the loo if you've got a fosse septique.

I buy it in 'Botanique', which is a chain garden centre, but you may not have a branch near you. A large pack lasts me ages, but someone will doubtless come on and tell us how to make your own.

I'm given to understand that piddling into one's compost has an excellent effect, but somewhat undignified wouldn't you say?[/quote]

It's OK, I will only do it after dark and provided I manage to climb onto the top of the composter.

I am already beginning to harbour doubts as to the wisdom of starting this latest lark.  Perhaps I should stick to sudoku?

He is winding you up. A nematode is a kind of frog that lives in compost which is why you should never use a sharp point in a compost heap.

And they do NOT like being widdled on, even by night. It makes them jump up and bite the offending part, so to speak.

So, be careful, nimt.

Does it matter if it is in full sun?

Well it might do. I bought a plastic compost bin some years ago and in 2 seasons it started to break up because the plastic had not been properly protected against UV light.

It has to be said that at 3000ft altitude we also get twice the UV that folk at sea level get, but I found the performance of this bin very poor.

I also have to say that I have 2 other plastic bins that have been here for 10 years and show no signs of deterioration.

If you can protect the bin from full sun that will increase its life.

Said to OH 'Oh good, now you're past the menopause we can use your wee on the compost'

Her response was 'If you think I'm squatting on top of the compost heap you've got another think coming'

Me 'Actually I thought you could use a bucket then pour it on top'

Strangely even this suggestion was not met with enthusiasm. .......

I don't so much mind doing it en plein air as long as I have first checked that there are no nettles or anything thorny or prickly (no, Wooly, you are NOT invited to comment [:P])

Beats some smelly, stomach-churning public loos.

Back on topic, have moved the composter to a new position but even the new position is in full sun and I think we will have to re-site before using it.  I am told that full sun would dry out the compost too much.

It is such a rickety structure that I am not sure it will survive another trip in the wheelbarrow [:(]

[quote user="mint"]Beats some smelly, stomach-churning public loos.

[/quote]

Mrs G & I have for years, awarded the public / bar / restaurant loos marks out of 10.

When I say "Mrs G & I", what I really mean is that its me that has to do an initial recce and report back. I'm usually accused of being over complimentary! Nothing less than a "7" from me warrants a visit.

Having said that, the -2 that I awarded a local bar did generate a few comments.     

Off threaad for a mo. When I was in the R.A.F. I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 2 1/2 years in Singapore. Hell, but someone had to do it [6] There is a time of year when the durian fruit is in season. No need to ask when because you smell it and to eat it was described to be like eating peaches and cream in the dirtiest, smelliest toilet in S/pore and believe me that is a SMELLY place!

What does it taste like I hear you ask? I have no idea because I never ever got past the smell [+o(][+o(]

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-does-the-durian-fruit-smell-so-terrible-149205532/

• 1 month later...
I used to share digs with a German girl and, being impoverished students, we always brought back food parcels to share after the holidays.

Helga's mother once gave her a whole cheese to bring back.  During the course of her train journey back to the UK, this cheese was getting riper and riper and Helga was shrinking lower and lower in her seat.

When it came time to get off the train, she was too embarrassed to retrieve the cheese from the luggage rack, so she just left it there![:D]

Mint - hoping not to upset you, but one compost bin isn't really enough [:(]

You need another space to move one lot on and make room for the next lot.

We have 4 compost boxes/piles!

The only other advice which I can give, after all the excellent ideas already, is don't put seeding weeds into it.

I add all our raw vegetable waste. Sometimes we have soiled waste from the chickens which is supposed to be a good activator, but you can buy a powder called compost activator. As mentioned by Gardian on the first page.

When it's ready it's hard work digging it out.

Definitely will get another one, Pat.

We still haven't found the ideal spot for the one we already have so I will bear in mind extra space for the second one.

I shall have lots of dead leaves to put in it soon.

Should have lots of veg waste as well.