Mimosa trees

MrsD

We recently moved to Pyrenees Orientale near the Spanish border and a near neighbour (French) visited us to advise us that we had to cut down all our mimosa trees as they are a pest and if we don't do it we will be charged by the Mairie office for cutting them down for us. Now I am a bit of a sceptic and am not sure if he is telling us the truth or if he just has an aversion to Mimosa trees ( he is furiously cutting down all of his). Does anyone here know whether the Mimosa is a pest and has to be controlled?

Mimosa trees can suffer from Mimosa Wilt which is a fungal infection (spread through the roots?) and is fatal to the trees.

If the mimosas are dying in your area then this might be the reason to cut them down to stop the spread of infection.

I think I would do more research before reaching for the chainsaw

Mimosa belongs to the same family as the false acacia, (robinia) - the Fabaceae. And they have the same type of invasive roots.

We had robinias at our last house and one root grew up through the downpipe for rainwater, blocking it completely.

It should be ok if planted far from a building, but could produce new shoots at a distance. So maybe that's what your neighbour was on about - cut down the new shoots when they appear.

Amazing as it may seem, this beautiful tree - Acacia dealbata - is considered invasive in southern Europe.

Il semble que dans certaines régions (région méditerranéenne), le mimosa soit considéré comme une espèce invasive (graines et rejets) dont il faut maitriser la reproduction.

This french conservation site gives more details which you may find helpful: http://www.conservation-nature.fr/especes-invasives.php?id=7

Being controlled by law is another thing; better ask the Mairie.

Thank you all. Took advice and visited Mairie, they were totally bemused by our neighbours 'advice' and said there is no problem. Advised if we want to control them by taking out new trees but entirely up to us. Phew. Now I don't have to look at chainsaws anymore.

Actually, this also demonstates the confusion of "knowledge" (of lack of) what should / needs to be done with old wives tales ... what has happened before gets passed down without any recourse to finding out for sure.  The French seem to  be particularly  bad at complying with some laws, whilst doing other things not necessary whilst saying they are a must.  Bonfires etc, cutting trees, neigbouring properties etc all seem to fall into this latter category.  The only way to find out for sure is to ask at the mairie, but down here in the deep south, even then you cannot always be sure they are telling you the truth. 

Mimosas are very popular down here, often seen, but easily frost damaged.  I'm not gardener enough to know about roots etc ... but presume the gardeners on here are speaking the truth.

I work on the principle, do what seems obvious, consult if necessary, and see what transpires. 

I think what that near neighbour says should be taken with a pinch of salt in the future. Just smile and nod and then do nothing. Some of the locals can be a little eccentric or just plain batty at times and they like nothing more than a good wind-up.