Bonfires, probably again!!

f1steveuk

We have just returned to our home in 24, and during a visit from (English) friends, the subject came up of garden bonfires.

Now,

I have have always been aware of the do's and don'ts of  this in my

area, and rarely have garden bonfires, but we were told that as of

January 1st 2014, garden bonfires are banned completely, as are open

indoor fires.

My reaction was that this, as usual, was a bad interpretation of a French Law.

So has the law changed, are ALL garden bonfires banned, 365 days of the year?

Does this also include indoor open fires?

What about Bar-b-ques??

After

the "jokes" that were the breathalyser and speed camera on your sat

navs "laws", I'm keen to see if this bonfire law is correct, or just a

mish mash of grey areas!!!

In the Lot, by Prefectoral decree, bonfires are banned all year round. This was by the simple expedient of reclassifying garden waste as household waste which it was always illegal to burn. The ban is largely obeyed as the fines are high and it is hard to hide the smoke from a bonfire. Tho on very windy Sundays I have smelt one or two.

Best place to ask is the Mairie.

JFB

Burning of green waste (bonfires) has officially been banned since 2011 across the whole of France.

However, the ban does not seem to be observed in our mountain top commune - but is strictly enforced in the neighbouring valley bottom commune.

I also note that the sale of garden incinerators continues in the DIY sheds and the garden goods and seed catalogues.

• 1 month later...
I also live in 24 and we are allowed to burn garden refuse from 15th October - 14 February and again from 15 May - 14 June. Other periods it is not allowed. We have received a bulletin this week reiterating this . It is also posted on our local mairie site.

I do know that friends in the Lot are not allowed to burn at all, so the rules for the Dordogne are clearly different!

[quote user="Elle Gee"]I also live in 24 and we are allowed to burn garden refuse from 15th October - 14 February and again from 15 May - 14 June. Other periods it is not allowed. We have received a bulletin this week reiterating this . It is also posted on our local mairie site.

I do know that friends in the Lot are not allowed to burn at all, so the rules for the Dordogne are clearly different![/quote]

You must live in a different part of the Dordogne to mine then.

We are not allowed to burn déchets verts year round.