Spraying roses

woolybanana

Andy .............

I was just about to reply when i saw yours.

Is it because you find the sprays ineffective and / or because of the risk to the good guys like bees?

I feel that both of those are true for me (some varieties seem to be affected by blackspot no matter what), but we did get some rust one year and the spray dealt with that quite well. Fortunately, they were 'potted', so were able to put them in quarantine so to speak.

Certainly, if you feel the need to spray, now would seem far too early I'd say. Early-April, by which time you've got some growth and the beaties start to appear?

Gardian

I have a number of reasons and in no particular order:

I am unconvinced as to how effective they are. People who spray seem to need to spray every year - frequently several times and with different chemicals . I never spray. I have roses. They do get some black spot - but not much, but I get beautiful rose blooms - every year.

One very effective way of protecting species in general from attack is to expose them and let them build up a natural resistance. Spraying means this never happens and the roses are therefore more susceptible to these fungal attacks - which may be why once you start spraying, you have to keep on doing it.

I am concerned about chemicals entering the environment where long term effects are not understood. This the more so when I am less than convinced about the need.

These chemicals may or may not impact on the goodies in our gardens. Bees are now under serious pressure. If there is a chance that these chemicals might (I stress might) impact negatively on bees, why take the chance?

The chemicals have been tested for short term impacts on the environment and convince the testers and the authorities of their safety - which as I say is a short term assessment and looks at specific risks and cannot look at every possible impact in nature. What is rarely done is to look at what happens when a cocktail of chemicals is applied over a season. Many of these are systemic and therefore have the ability to inter-react in the plant even if not applied at the same time.

I agree with Andy about not using chemical sprays. Another reason is you will also kill natural predators such as ladybirds (Woolly knows about them [;-)])

If the problem is green or blackfly I don't think it's harmful to use a liquid soap dilution. they lose their grip on the vegetation.

When they get going give some bio engrais, that might build up resistance to disease.

We don't have any roses in the garden now - pesky deer kept eating the buds and no deterrent worked. But I saved 3 healthier ones and they're in pots next to the house.

Just to add, that with over 40 years of gardening despite my desire to avoid spraying, I have found my plants under severe attack and have felt the need to resort to spraying.

Because I have always avoided this whenever I felt I could, I have been left with the remains of a number of these potions. It is salutary looking through these - all of which were safe to use at the time of purchase.

Around 1/3rd are still listed and available for use.

Around 1/3rd are no longer available for gardeners but can still be purchased by professionals.

Around 1/3rd are now banned!!