Chelsea Flower Show 2015

Gardian

For us, the BBC coverage is a 'must watch' every year.

Of course, everything is a matter of personal taste, but we're bound to say that we feel somewhat underwhelmed this year, despite the understandable enthusiasm of the presenters. You probably need to be there to really appreciate some of the gardens.

Which brings me to my point. Over a glass or two of CdR last night, Mrs G and I thought that we might push the boat out sometime soon and visit the Show. It might make a pleasant alternative holiday destination to Mogadishu, Kabul or ....... you get my drift.

It isn't cheap - seen the prices + the need to join up to the RHS for the Tues or Weds. The catering prices will doubtless be sky high & all that's after we'll have paid to travel to the UK.

So ............. anybody out who's done it? Was it worth it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I haven't been for a few years, but last time I did, it was SO crowded, with everyone shuffling along around a one-way system through the marquees, and people standing several deep to get a look at the show gardens outside.

I wouldn't go again.

People these days seem to prefer the Hampton Court Show in I think June or July. I have never been, but apparently it's very big, and you can even buy plants there - unlike Chelsea, where you can only place orders.

Angela

I've only been to Hampton Court and really enjoyed it, went 3 times, but you need plenty of stamina for that too. I've bought plants there, but not as many as many who had them transported to cars by wheelbarrow. There were also marquees full of crafts etc to help you use up your money, - very useful when it pours! And of course, the setting is wonderful.

I have been to Chelsea on several occasions. The best times were had when I was invited by corporate sponsors who had marquees for lunch and snacks. That got us in earlier in the week. When I last went, on a Friday I think, it was almost impossible to see the main drive gardens, they were ten deep in spectators. Arriving at the earliest possible time of day might help, and if you could secrete a few sandwiches about your person it would save you a lot of money! I have been there for the Saturday sell off, and it's good fun - bargains can be had and it is an interesting spectator sport watching

Bushes and trees disappear into the tube station.

Thanks everybody for your detailed replies.

They confirm our fears, which we'd sort-of guessed. Sadly, i'm not anticipating admission to the Royalty nor celebrity status anytime soon.

I think that your feedback knocks that idea on the head, so ............. Mogadishu or Kabul for a long weekend?

p.s. Hampton Court is a great idea, but not good news for our plants back here in July. Neighbours willing enough, but a bit unreliable.