Effective weed killers

rowland

Hi

Can anyone recommend an effective weed killer for clover - the one with the yellow flower - and bindweed. Both are driving me mad and nothing seems to have much effect on them. I don't like using weed killers but these seem to be resistant to everything I have tried.

Has anyone used one of those gas canister wand things to burn off the weeds?

Thanks

Never used one but I am fairly sure they do not work on bindweed whose roots can go down many metres, just ready to resprout whenever something happens above.

I am currently engaged in a war of attrition myself, chopping off tops and digging as much root as I can out every few days. I think I am winning but it is a slow painful job and I dread to think what will happen if I lapse in my attacks for a week or so.

There is a special weedkiller for bindweed (liseron) but not sure about clover. The gas canister weedkillers are fine on driveway areas but are pretty slow as you have to zap each weed individually, also, not really any good for deep/long rooted weeds such as bindweed.

There's no easy way of getting rid of bindweed or similar things like ground elder short of getting a pig and letting it root around for a year or so when it will get every last piece of vegetation.  I read about someone who did this - then ate the pig!

More practically, a way to do this is to use a glycol phosphate systemic weedkiller, and before I get shouted down, no I am no a fan but sometimes life is too short to battle weeds.

make some weedkiller up in a jam jar, place on the ground and bend some of the bindweed into the liquid leave for a week or more, topping up as necessary.  It will look like nothing is happening but stick with it and the roots will die back.  If you have a big area then use several jam jars.

Bindweed is tenacious stuff so be prepared for repeat applications

I also used to use glycophosphate when I had a bindweed problem - and I was an organic gardener, but clearing bindweed is a huge problem. If digging it out, even the tiniest bit of that white root starts to grow again. I used to use an old, small paintbrush to put it on the leaves as early in the season as I could spot it. It's important to remember to keep it safely hidden away and to wear rubber gloves - I used those thin ones and put them straight out in the dustbin when I'd finished, then wash my hands extremely well.

I have been in the same position as Gardengirl and have used Glyphosate, but have to say I have now returned to a more ecological (but more backbreaking as well) solution.

Despite heavy (but localised) application with G, the bindweed kept on coming back.

I too use glycophosphate but at triple strength on bindweed, nettle and bramble. Seems to have an effect but I don't think you can ever beat it. It says on the bottle of glycophosphate that it is inert once it touches the soil, is that not true? I would be most concerned if that were not the case.

While out trying to get some overdue gardening done, I saw all the carpet on open soil down the far end and remembered that I also used to put woolen carpet down on areas I was clearing, left for 2 years it clears all manner of nasty weeds. It's something I have used for quite a few years as I wanted to be (more) organic. It needs to be used in areas where it can be left undisturbed, so a biggish garden is needed, although soil can be put on top if it can be seen from the house/sitting areas. Several of my gardens have had fitted carpets! Best not to use rubber-backed carpet, as that disintegrates and you are left with nasty rubber sitting there, almost impossible to clear as it crumbles into the soil. My carpet has always been cream colours, so not too many worries there about all the dyes going into the soil, although there are chemicals in carpet too.

Who ever would have thought that the past 3 weeks or so in England would bring a heatwave that stops me gardening - the last few years have been pretty much the opposite, with one year recently when I couldn't even step onto the soil as it was so drenched for the whole summer. I garden on heavy clay, which is wonderful for plants given decent conditions, but can go from flood to baked earth within a very short amount of time.

[quote user="Spyder"]I too use glycophosphate but at triple strength on bindweed, nettle and bramble. Seems to have an effect but I don't think you can ever beat it. It says on the bottle of glycophosphate that it is inert once it touches the soil, is that not true? I would be most concerned if that were not the case.

[/quote]

Strictly as a chemist I do not think it is chemically inert. But to be fair what they mean is that it is no longer effective in killing plants once it has touched the soil and is therefore inert in that respect.

What the long term effects of the breakdown products are on the soil, plants and wildlife remains for me a somewhat open question.

Nevertheless Glyphosate does appear to be one of the least damaging products around.

Can't offer any advice re: weedkillers as we are in the same boat.  Have some absolutely huge weeds in our driveway with trunk like stems - have to resort to digging up as nothing kills them or keeps them from coming back year after year.  I think all the effective weedkillers are now banned in Europe and as a result are no longer available. As for the gas wands, we have two unfortunately, they are expensive and don't work.  Took my husband about 2 hours to do 5 x 1 metres of block paving, using up 2 canisters of gas!  Was expecting something like a flame thrower, the actual flame is more like a cigarette lighter!!  The weeds came back within six weeks.

• 10 months later...
Quote Andyh4

Nevertheless Glyphosate does appear to be one of the least damaging products around.

Unquote

Seems I have to eat my words.

Glyphosate is now listed by WHO as being a probable carcinogen in humans.

Mme Royale is asking garden centres to stop selling it prior to a planned ban on open sales of all such chemicals in around 7 years.

http://www.firstpost.com/fwire/french-minister-calls-on-shops-to-stop-selling-monsantos-roundup-reuters-2295536.html

That will be yet another chemical I have bought as being safe and approved, that is no longer deemed as being safe.

I buy bottles of white vinegar for around 30centimes a litre and put it everywhere, kills everything too and is not dangerous to animals. Keep topping up the treatment and you will see a difference and it also clears paving of moss and algae too.Only do it if no rain forecast so it can soak in neat and do not skimp on the application. Otherwise salt is also a good weedkiller especially the coarser stuff and cheap too!

I've used coarse salt too - it works on things like that tough spreading grass, but doubt if it would work on bindweed, might try it though . We're giving our potager a rest this year (back troubles etc) and the bindweed has come back with a vengeance in spite of mulching with a lot of straw. Purslane will be next.

Husband bought some weedkiller selective for ronces and it seems to work. I can't find the packet to give contents.

Used vinegar and salt on bindweed laughed and grew -:) hence agri strength Glyso.

OH uses a power washer each spring to clean outdoor areas from moss/ staining over winter-patio, glass pool fence, stone table and benches back to new every year. Would need some amount to vinegar to do what a jet washer does.

Not sure why you are blaming the EU Dave.

It is the WHO that have identified and published the potential threat.

It is France that is pushing for a ban/controlled use by professionals.

The EU do get a lot wrong but in this case if anything they might be considered as being inactive.

[quote user="andyh4"]It is the WHO that have identified and published the potential threat.

It is France that is pushing for a ban/controlled use by professionals.

The EU do get a lot wrong but in this case if anything they might be considered as being inactive.[/quote]

You mean this lot

OK, I'll get me hat, no need for me coat [geek]

It would be worthwhile having the ban if it led to reduction in number of deaths from cancer among farmers.

In the commune we lived in before this one there were several deaths from cancer, mostly leukemia, among local residents. Most of whom were farmers. In the 5 years we were there, or in the previous few years.

I was relieved we managed to sell and move away.  Sadly the wife of the people that bought our house died of cancer soon after moving in.

From what I have read ( in the LaLigue journals) there are other chemicals used by farmers which can cause cancer. Several have already been banned.

I remember once contacting Monsanto tech desk to ask about Roundup and ask what problems there were with it. I was told that as long as I followed the instructions whilst using it there was no danger and that as soon as it touched the ground it was totally harmless! I have no idea if she was either lying through her teeth or just saying what she had been told and hadn't a clue? One thing that it ain't is harmless, where ever it is!

• 6 years later...
On 25/07/2014 at 13:39, rowland said:

Hi

Can anyone recommend an effective weed killer for clover - the one with the yellow flower - and bindweed. Both are driving me mad and nothing seems to have much effect on them. I don't like using weed killers but these seem to be resistant to everything I have tried.

Has anyone used one of those gas canister wand things to burn off the weeds?

Thanks

I heard about the mixture of white vinegar, salt, and dish soap. I use compare-N-save. But if you don't like to use weed killers you can try this recipe

3 hours ago, Hali said:

I heard about the mixture of white vinegar, salt, and dish soap. I use compare-N-save. But if you don't like to use weed killers you can try this recipe

Oh sorry guys for this hyperlink. It happened by mistake. Now I can't edit this.