Bamboohoo

woolybanana

What is the best way to get rid of invasive bamboo, svp? A couple of huge clumps have been cut down to ground level by some very courageous people but it leaves small stumps which the mower would not like.

My own instinct is to let it grow a bit and then hit it with some sort of poison but is that right?

How strong are you feeling? Or do you have access to a local chap who is strong?

The best thing you can do is get at it with a sharp spade and dig out every bit you possibly can, starting beyond where you can see it growing.

It's a bit like bindweed, only much bigger - any left behind will sprout. But at least it should be a bit weakened.

Good luck!

Hi Wooly.

I had to use my large Renault tractor to remove 4 Bamboo that we planted some 5 years ago. The lady at the garden centre said it wasn't a spreading type!

Anyway, I have hydraulic forks on the tractor with those steel spikes that lift hay bales and believe it or not, one of them snapped clean in half as the Bamboo was so strongly embedded.

It was a tough job and the roots went down at least 3 feet.

After getting them out I sprayed the area with Glyphosate just to be sure.

I wish you luck.

Regards. Les.

We have a small plantation which we keep confined to one area. When the new shoots start to grow beyond that area they are quickly mowed down with the lawn tractor - it doesn't seem to harm the tractor as the shoots are relatively soft at that stage. Having said that this area is about 200 metres from the house.

Yes, I agree with Minnie, and I do exactly the same. The new shoots are black and they grow very fast. Cut them while they're only a foot high (that's one day's growth, mind you!) and you can keep it confined. The more recent tall shoots have a ball type root system and will come out with a pick axe, anything from a previous year is difficult as others have said. I cut them with a saw and then run over with the tractor mower (but my mower is old so I'm not too worried about potential damage!).

I think glysophate is a systemic weedkiller and therefore needs to be absorbed through the leaves. I think there are other products for removing the remains of the "trunks" such as "destructeur de souches" (sp?) normally used when you cut down a tree. Best to ask at the garden centre, I'm sure they'll sell you something expensive and useless!  [:-))]