Ideas for trees, please.

woolybanana

Can the 'team' please make suggestions for a decent sized feature tree for my garden, of the weeping or corkscrew type but not a basic willow? Must not have poison pods or berries and should be able to stand the PdeC climate. Of a decent height, maybe with coloured leaves.

And, no, Norman, the Weeping Clamydia does not fit the bill.

Thanks chaps.

As ever with us chaps, Norman, it depends on the size of the tree to start with. Some have small trees thrust upon them whilst others are, what shall we say, less challenged dimensionally.

One would hope to still be here to enjoy the fruit of one's tree, as ever.

You may, of course, be less optimistic, which is sad.

By the way, why don't you use your real name here, which is Kevin as we all realise. I mean, noone is ever called Norman unles they are a milkman!

Of all of the specimen trees that we planted, around 40, the prettiest by far is a 'Cedar Deodora'. In the wind, it dances around like something out of a Disney movie.

It's evergreen too.

The trees were mainly around 3 to 4 metres tall when we bought them so they were delivered by Tractor from the local garden centre.

Eric, we can see you're French!!

When we bought our French holiday home, back in 1970, the neighbours were all agog to see what we were planting in the small garden. When my husband (who had got keen on gardening through working as a cameraman on "Gardening Club", with Percy Thrower) said that the trees he was putting in were for their interesting foliage, they were stunned!

But I have come round to your way of thinking now...

Angela

[quote user="Rabbie"]Why not consider a Japanese flowering cherry. They come in weeping forms and should be OK in your climate[/quote]

I've got a weeping Japanese flowering cherry, just about to come into full bloom and it gives a striking display.

It's been here in La Creuse for about 6 years now and copes very well with the climate.