Glyphosate weedkiller

Angie

Has anyone used this weedkiller? Have seen mixed reviews. We have a row of hefty, extremely long rooted weeds at the top of our drive. We have even had a local chap dig them out with a mini digger but they have returned within a few weeks. They are extremely hard to get to with a shovel and am sure they are going under the concrete. Someone recommended using Glyphosate and would appreciate this or any other recommendations. I realise that this product needs to be used carefully and comes with detailed instructions go my guess is that it might actually work. Thank you in advance

It's something I have used in the past on our block-paved drive in England but since finding our more about it I wouldn't use it again.

There is conflicting evidence about whether or not it can cause cancer, with a report from the WHO, and also concern about how long it remains in the soil.

Now I scrape weeds out of the gaps between blocks with a very useful gardening knife, although when we return in the summer it's a much tougher job to get them out as they are so much bigger.

In the garden I have used carpet and thick black polythene with good results. It has to be left down for a very long period but can be covered with soil so it doesn't look so awful. On your drive it might not be possible.

One method I haven't used is a flame thrower, but I know people who have had good results. They have used the flame thrower until the weeds wilt and then moved on. It has to be repeated.

I would echo what GG has written. The cancer case against Glyphosate is not yet fully proven, but the patents for the chemical are held by probably the least ethical chemical company in the civilised world, who have a track record of suppressing negative news about their products.

It is however probably one of the most effective herbicides available (today at least) to the amateur gardener. Nevertheless my limited experience (since I avoid using herbicides if possible) is that it does not perform overly well on difficult weeds in difficult situations. In my case I had bindweed coming up in an asparagus bed I tried a touch weeder and it did indeed kill of the tops, but within weeks it was back with a vengeance. It was not more effective - and probably less effective than my alternative treatment of regular inspection and rooting up (as well as possible in such a bed) as soon as it appears.

Thanks all for the advice. It does actually on the instructions that its possible to replant in the area after a week; according to info it doesn't stay in the soil so can't be used as a preventative weedkiller only directly on the weed itself. But as you warn, the chemical company that makes it is questionable.

We have used the gas burner things and frankly they are useless on even the smallest weeds and come back in no time. At lot of effort (expensive too). We have used the carpet idea on a large patch of weeds to clear it and this method worked well but as you surmise, not suitable for our driveway. Will have to go back to the long knife method!!

Glyphosate is a Monsanto product and their best selling weed killer and I wouldn't touch it with a very long pole. It doesn't do what they claim and become harmless as soon as it touches the soil. It stays around for ages and also will leach into the ground water.

If you want to find out just how wonderful it is then try googling 'glyphosate problems'.  It appears to be a case of the more you use the more you need to use it!

Try vinegar on them. It's dirt cheap and safe, as long as you ain't the weed!!

I used to use neat bleach on weeds growing in cracks in paths, but I don't know if it will go down to long roots.

I believe it will be illegal to sell Roundup (contains glysophate) after next Jan., but not sure if that will apply to the non branded stuff as well.

Its not as if it actually does a half good job of killing the weeds, I found a very old tub of sodium chlorate and treated my block paved car park and terrace before leaving for the UK, it was a pain to use as it had formed lumps and did not dissolve properly but the results on my return 3 weeks later were spectacular, every weed dead, shrivelled up and virtually dissapeared even the moss had turned grey although now its raining a green hue has returned.

In any case I have not killed weeds so effectively for a decade.

The Sodium Chlorate you used to be able to buy was about 50% fire retardant anyway.

According to the EU directive, it was banned due to its potential poisonous effects on infants and pregnant women.

Now since the only real way to be harmed with this stuff is to ingest it (and it is seriously nasty if you ever did and irrelevant if you are man, woman or child), I am at a loss as to the thinking behind the ban.

Here's a thought. If you have a salt water swimming pool, heat the solution in the electrolyser (or whatever it's called) and instead of producing sodium hypochlorite (bleach) you might just get some Sodium Chlorate - only kidding, don't try this for real!

Just an appeal to anyone reading this thread that many weed killers are extremely toxic to fish and should be disposed off in a responsible way.

I took WBs post to be in jest but you never know who might think it a sensible way to get rid of unwanted chemicals

It seems that Brussels wants to relicence glyphosate for another ten years but only in a unmixed form as the research (if it is to be trusted) seems to suggest that the problems lie with the interaction of glyphosate and other components which are mixed with it before sale.

Do we believe this or not?