Petrol water pumps

CeeJay

I have an allotment which is fed by a small canal and I take off water via a 80mm pipe to my garden which is about 30metres long. I would like to irrigate by a small petrol pump instead of lugging watering cans about but am a bit confused which one to get in terms of size of outlet although I think a 1" one would be sufficient, or even the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke.

I would appreciate any comments from users.

There used to be a small water pump that you could attach to an electric drill, just a thought.

Also, remember that some fuel pumps push and some suck, so you would need the correct one for the location.

The best place to search might be E-bay.

I've always been fascinated by the self-powered water pumps that were apparently developed centuries ago. They seem to depend on a certain "fall" of water to operate, so may not be suitable in flattish terrain. If nothing else, it could be a talking point for your neighbours. http://journeytoforever.org/at_waterpump.html

[quote user="CeeJay"]Thanks for the replies, solar powered sounds really interesting so will do a bit of research.[/quote]

I may already have some of the answers.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]A lot depends on what height you have to raise

the water.  A couple of metres up and 30 metres horizontal needs a bit

of Oomph. 

[/quote]

The horizontal takes very little, the Oomph is just for the 2 meters lift and unless its its trying to power spray heads it should be achievable.