Windbreak?

Liza Jane

Hello gardeners, our French house in Languedoc has a small wall surmonted with a fence giving a height of about 1m80. At the side of the house is a narrow space running west to east which funnels the tramontane straight down the side and into the (small) garden. Has anyone any suggestions for reducing the wind, which will not damage the wall or the house?

If you have room you could consider planning a windbreak of bamboo - but chose a non invasive one - in front of the entrance to the narrow space. To be effective the bed would probably need to be a metre or more thick and would probably need to overlap the front of the house by the width of any path you allow behind it in order to access this narrow space.

Firstly, hi LizaJane and welcome to the forum!! What area of the Languadoc are you in? No specifics, just the area would do?

I would agree with Pierre and say that a gate at one end of the path would be a good start. It would also make the garden more secure?

We have been here for 11 years now and the Languadoc is in a wind tunnel. We have a largish garden and have trees on the eastern side but are fairly open to the west, but we have got used to it now. I assume that the Marin doesn't bother you? It's blowing quite well at the moment!

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the welcome and for replying, Jonzjob. We are in the Corbieres region.

The wall is in fact all the way round, but the wind whips over the top and down the side of the house to the main bit of the (small ) garden.

The Marin can be a pest, but it comes over the main bit of the garden and is broken up by some trees a bit.

We have toyed with the idea of a gate between the front and back garden though.

I pass a large and tall clump of bamboos on a lane near my house where I walk my dog.  When the wind blows hard, the tall canes knock against each other and make a clattering sound.  However, I don't dislike the noise but then they aren't planted next to my house!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the comments. I will bear that in mind and try to listen next time we pass some and it is windy, We were also wondering about an olive tree, in a container perhaps to avoid damage to the walls by its roots , or any thoughts on any other small trees or large shrubs?