black fly how do i get rid

jaspers girl

Sorry, can't suggest anything to buy as I've only grown them in England and always pinch out the tops, where black fly are, once the broad beans have started setting.

I also do companion planting, with carrots, lettuce, marigolds, celery, peas and parsley which help to keep the bean plants clear.

Good luck!

Your best friends are natural predators like lady birds etc.

The problem is (as you have found, and I am now finding) the black fly arrive in numbers before the predators get going.

My suggested short term treatment that will knock back the black fly without decimating the lady birds, is to spray daily with dilute washing up liquid. One drop in a 500ml spray bottle. This interferes with the black fly respiration system (they breathe through their skins) but will not poison the environment.

I agree with the washing up liquid method but I used a rather stronger concentration  ( a hefty squirt in a 500ml bottle). I didn't know that just one drop would do the trick

It does work but you have to be sure to get under the leaves where the little blighters live and repeat fairly often