Roses Tremieres (Hollyrock) issues

ericd

Hi all.

My mother planted plenty seeds of this lovely looking flower 3 years ago (I hope the translation is correct http://dictionnaire.reverso.net/francais-anglais/rose%20tr%C3%A9mi%C3%A8re )

Very few have come up and those that have are only in leaves but no flower. On the island of Noirmoutier where she lives, they grow out of the pavement .....

Seeds were planted all around the house so they have every kind of exposure.

What am we doing wrong? Thanks for your input.

HollyHock, with an H, Eric.

They are lovely. I have seen them in Noirmoutlier town, growing through the tarmac - but have never managed to get them going at home, so that is good news that you have some leaves.

The reason you have only leaves this year is that hollyhocks are biennials, and will flower in the second year after planting. So give them time!

In addition, seed germination can be rather erratic - as advised on the seed packet I bought. Most of those in our garden are self seeded, but since we seem to gain perhaps half a dozen plants per year, but a single flower head has probably a hundred seeds, this gives some idea of the germination success rate.

If it's any consolation, Eric, we can't grow them either.

Yet, just over the road, there are lovely ones that come up and are as tall as I am, with a lovely variety of purples and pinks.

I am told that they grow like weeds.........well, our garden is full of weeds but, alas, no hollyhocks.  I like them a lot too and they seem to be a nice, easy way to get flashy flowers in the garden with little need for care or even water.

OTOH, we do have pieds d'allouette and they are also tall and flowering like hollyhocks but they are on quite a smaller scale altogether.

• 1 month later...
I haven't seen hollyhock for many years. One of our neighbours on the estate at Sunderland where I grew up had the most magnificent specimens for years, certainly at least until I left the area around 1967.

They seem to be one of the many plants that went out of fashion, but I find them beautiful. I remember that they suffered from rust.

They are generally said to be biennials, but I have one which I have grown from seed and whilst remaining small seems to be about to flower in its first year. It is in a pot for planting in the autumn or when the weather is a bit damper.

My question then is whether this plant will act as a biennial and come up again next year, having flowered now, or will it pretend it is an annual and die?

They are generally considered as biennials as you say but are in fact short lived perennials. There is no reason therefore why your pot plant should not flower again next year provided it is replanted in good conditions and is not hit by excessive frosts over the winter.

We live in 'allée des Roses Trémières', and since there are loads of them everywhere in town, including growing through the pavements, we thought we'd grow some. Not really successful at all as they're very straggly and rusty so if it wasn't for the road name I'd give up on them!