BonFires

James2

Hi,

Here in the Charonte we have been asked to fill in application forms if we need to light a bonfire, give three days notice, complete the fire within 15 days, give size and description of the material we are burning and only have a fire between October and February!!

Is this environment gone mad??

James 2

Well I thought there was a national law from IIRC 2011 that forbids the burning of all green waste. So if you are allowed a bonfire, you are very lucky.

The observance seems to be somewhat shall we say, applied in the French manner. Here no real observance at all, but the next commune it is strictly observed - but they are in a valley and enjoy the effect of smoke hanging in the air sometimes for days on end.

Before the ban, the maire of the next commune had a similar system, and you had to get permission the day before from the local fire station, which would be refused if everything was too dry or if winds were forecast in their opinion to be too high.

Its never enforced here at all, people burn garden waste all year round and often much worse stuff too.

Retarded Jaques down at the end of the village had a nice blaze going on his driveway the other day....turns out he has ripped out his staircase and prefers to access upstairs via a ladder now.

There have neen rules such as this for donkey's years, sounds like they are just tightening up on this.

The ones that get my goat, and are not sadly always adhered to, are dogs barking and noise..... both of which will depend on the Maire doing their duty and making people obey the arrete, which the Maire's are supposed to do!!

[quote user="andyh4"]Well I thought there was a national law from IIRC 2011 that forbids the burning of all green waste. So if you are allowed a bonfire, you are very lucky.

The observance seems to be somewhat shall we say, applied in the French manner. Here no real observance at all, but the next commune it is strictly observed - but they are in a valley and enjoy the effect of smoke hanging in the air sometimes for days on end.

Before the ban, the maire of the next commune had a similar system, and you had to get permission the day before from the local fire station, which would be refused if everything was too dry or if winds were forecast in their opinion to be too high.[/quote]

Andy, you have provided the exact link before concerning this which I was able to show our maire who successfully stopped the offending neighbour burning his déchets verts.

And, no, it is NOT environmental control gone mad.  There ARE people with severe breathing problems who are nastily affected.  I should know; when the new neighbour started burning stuff, we had to leave our home (OH, dog and me) for 2 days.  Our house is below his in a small valley and his smoke filled up all our house including the roof space so that a TV engineer we had with us had to leave without doing his work.

James2 wrote : Still got a lot to burn though, will be returning to Bristol at the end of this month and not back until April.

Does your déchetterie not take green stuff ? Ours makes compost out of the huge amount of green stuff from all the gardens of the holiday homes in our area.

Or you could simply fill in the form and be given approval to burn your stuff.

If so lucky you as we are never allowed to have a bonfire due to our proximity to a départmental road.

Sue

[quote user="James2"]Hi, Here in the Charonte we have been asked to fill in application forms if we need to light a bonfire, give three days notice, complete the fire within 15 days, give size and description of the material we are burning and only have a fire between October and February!! Is this environment gone mad?? James 2[/quote]

Its being done in response to complaints about the gendarmes standing by doing nothing when syndicalistes set fire to an autoroute/lorry load of British lamb/their own factory etc etc. Safe in the knowledge that the hardy breed only ever manifest (not!) during the colder months [:D]

Hi Sue,

The amount of cuttings and loppings we have accumulated since the beginning of September is enough to fill a 10 ton truck, as this amount is impossible to get to the dechetterie, we can only resort to a bonfire. ( an acre of land has its drawbacks ! )

I've seen bonfires in my village throughout the summer, in fact all year round. I agree, with an acre or more of land its too much for the dechetterie so I will seen our mairie tomorrow and if necessary fill out the form

I don`t think so, we have a gendarme as a neighbour and he is on the local council at the Marie.

Talking to him it appears all of France is expected to fill in these forms and apply to the marie for permission to have a bonfire.

I just think October to February is a bit tight and I would think there would be no problem in March.

No problem if no neighbour complains.  Best to have a word first at the mairie then once you get the OK, you can burn to your heart's content.

Some people never think rules and regulations apply to them and then they cry foul when they are reprimanded/fined/given the cold shoulder/ and other things that I can't think of!

Hi Mint,

Well we had our bonfire yesterday and it was a great success, we started at 10am and finished at 4pm and must have burnt a barn full of cuttings, prunings and tree trimmings.

We delivered the relevant forms in at the Marie, three days before and were told to complete the fire within 15days.

Also, no neighbours were affected by the smoke!

So alls well that ends well.

Well done, James2!  Always better to do things by the book when in doubt and especially when in a country that is not one's own.

The French might happily bend rules but they could be veritable sticklers when it comes to other people breaking THEIR rules!

Now you know what to do in future years[:)]