soggy drive

Patf

We have a drive to our house, about 40m, which is just grass, on a slight slope up from the lane. With so much rain recently it has become difficult to drive up and down, lots of muddy trenches etc.

In the past we've scattered broken tiles, rubble etc. But this year haven't got the energy or time.

Any other ideas to firm-up the earth?

Not without effort. But when you do have time, what about those bricks that let the grass grow through them.

Gardeners use flat plastic squares laid end to end to create paths; would this be practical and not too dear? Last I saw they were being sold from the big shop lorries that park up once or twice a year. And GammVert had them on offer.

Edit Gamm Vert HAS them on offer this week.

" A half asrêd temporary solution mind not be the best way forward."

Au contraire Rodney - that's exactly what we want .

Why spend a  fortune on a  delivery of gravel (what is calcaire?) at this stage of our residence here?

"You are a month away from nice weather and it will dry up naturally."

ALBF - for once you speak sense.

That is what has happened in other years.

I'm just worried about the removals lorry who are due to arrive on Wednesday.

Pat F,

Sorry (in one way) that you are leaving France, and hope it all works out well, as I do know why you took that decision. 

However, I hope it won't mean that we don't see you on the forum any more, as you've years of experience of living in France and still much to contribute.

As for the grass, that plastic stuff talked about above might do the job sufficiently for the removals wagon .. perhaps.

Good luck with the move and your onwards progress.

We have a long sloping grass drive, too, and cars often get stuck in mud half-way up during the winter. I tried some plastic footpath stuff (with open mesh structure) that was supposed to provide grip and, whilst it helped as a walking surface, it was still too slippery for vehicles when wet or muddy.

I then looked at some rubberised "mats" instead that offered more grip but they were so expensive, for the quantity we needed, that we bit the bullet and dug out some tramways and put down a stone and gravel base.

I don't think I would entertain any of these options if I was selling - let the purchaser incur the expense - unless it was a factor that was actually putting off potential buyers.

That sounds just like ours, Alan. It's like that every winter, in fact some years it has been worse as there's a large pond (mare) nearby which occasionally floods.

http://www.adasea32.fr/zones-humides-gers-ecosystemes

But it's amazing how quickly it all dries up after a few days of sunshine.

When I think of all those broken tiles we've spread in the past - they've all disappeared now.

We must have picked the worst day ever to move - our drive was even worse yesterday when the removals people arrived. It was a complete swamp. The matting wouldn't have worked. So they couldn't  get their lorry to the house.

After various ideas our farmer neighbor offered to tow the lorry up with his tractor, but the lorry driver didn't want to risk it - when loaded up to descend it could sink completely. So it stayed parked in the lane.

First we borrowed a transit van from another friend to go up and down from the house, but it wasn't big enough. Then the farmer lent us his bigger transit van. Eventually the job was done, but the removals men had to stay the night and finished at midi today. Thank God for good friends.

Hoping for sunny weather so that the mess dries out.