How to Tightly Prune Olive Trees?

spj

I'd be grateful for some help / advice please about how to get that tight ball look with the foliage of two youngish olives trees, each about 5 foot high, which at the moment just have a normal spreading canopy. I want them as feature plants, not as trees that will be fruiting and most of the advice on the internet is about pruning with a view to getting them to fruit. Can anyone point me in the direction of a video or article please. Or alternatively describe here what I need to do. Thank you Sue

Hi Sue,

They'll stand hard pruning. Just cut them /saw them back to a vaguely spherical framework then spend the next few summers pinching out the tips of the new growth until the desired effect is achieved ;-) It's a long-term project, although feeding them a balanced fertiliser will speed things up. Watch out for tiny green caterpillars which infest soft new growth. See thread about pine processionary caterpillars for preventative measures! HTH

Thanks Noisette. Don't know about you but I'm getting really fed up with this weather! Grass and weeds unbelievably long and lush and almost impossible to mow / strim. A few dry warm days would be good.

It's certainly....unusual. I've never seen puddles on a sloping lawn before :-) The Clematis are loving it, though, and at least the flowers aren't burning up and disappearing within a couple of days.

The warm, dry days will be here soon....then we'll be praying for rain ;-)