Garlic growing

woolybanana

I no longer grow garlic, but usually planted it out in November. For use now, pull it up as you want/need it, but mostly I let the tops die off and lift them when totally dry.

Some types don’t keep well, but I was mostly lucky, storing them in light, airy conditions but out of the sun.

At the moment most of France and, I think, the UK, is having glorious weather, so the tops should die back nicely. But when there’s nasty, wet weather with claggy soil, it can be better to lift them and store as above, trying to keep the heads separate in case of rot.

No problems with keeping vampires away from you then, wooly. ?

Like GG i used to plant garlic in Oct/Nov i used to pull it in june while still green, lay it and dry it under cover. The reason for that was if i left it in the ground too long it started to rot. Another reason for taking it early gave me chance to plant something else where the garlic had been.

• 2 years later...
On 27/06/2019 at 18:44, pip24 said:

Like GG i used to plant garlic in Oct/Nov i used to pull it in june while still green, lay it and dry it under cover. The reason for that was if i left it in the ground too long it started to rot. Another reason for taking it early gave me chance to plant something else where the garlic had been.

a good tip.