Annuals for a second year?

Ian

Last spring I planted perhaps 30 pots with annuals - begonias, fuschias and pelargoniums. About 2/3 of the plants have have survived (one or two are flowering...). Can I grow them up, and save buying more, or will they be weakened and not give a good show?

If I can re-use them, what do I have to do? I'm thinking of cutting off all of last years foliage (like pruning roses - that I CAN do) then giving them a good feed. ??

Thanks

Thanks, woolybanana, that's what I'll do.

I had a terrible problem last year with insects (mealybugs, I think) and lost a lot of plants. Mainly perennial herbs, funnily enough. Tried every chemical known to man, ans still they fell. Even the replacements. So, I'll be very vigilant.

Cheers

At the risk of sounding pedantic, annuals are plants which grow, flower, set seed and die in a season.

None of the plants you list are annuals so if you can keep them alive over winter you can replant them the following year.

A light trim to tidy them up should be sufficient but as others have suggested, watch out for a treat beasties which may also have overwintered.

Add some nice organic general fertilizer to help them perform at their best this year.

Colin the Gardener

• 2 weeks later...
@ukhostland, you're right, they're perennials.

I've taken the advice - cleaned out all the old growth and blown-in leaves, gave them a good prune followed by a good feed, and they're FLOURISHING! Some in flower already.

Thanks, everyone.