I have received my voter's card for the European elections

NormanH

I had presumed that with all the uncertainty over Brexit I would not be allowed to vote in the European elections, although technically if the United Kingdom has not left the European Union I should have the right to vote in France as I have done before.

Today however I received my Carte Electorale  in the post  so I wonder whether the Mairie  in Béziers  is just well ahead of the game, or isn't even aware that there might be an issue [6]

I rather suspect the latter, but it would be interesting to know if other people have received theirs.

We have received ours in the UK, so you should have got yours in France, in fact I was wondering if people had actually received them.

Until all is resolved, the election will go ahead as planned and we all have the 'right' to vote in these elections.

• 3 weeks later...
My OH has just received his today.  Is there a public document which states who the candidates are?  I can ask at the Mairie but wondered if I could find the list online somewhere.

His card is marked into Scrutin No. 1 to 12 - does that mean he has to vote for 12 people in descending order? 

I posted a link to all the candidates and their manifestos in another thread yesterday

but as

there are 34 different lists and each one has a manifesto so it is an

enormous job wading through I just clicked on the main ones I might vote for myself
It is in French too.

It is proportional nationally so you aren't voting for a local candidate..
The number of candidates elected from each list depends roughly on the percentage of votes cast for that list.

Thanks, Norman. Will have a look at it. We are quite confused as to how it works.

We thought it was to vote in our local mayor! We must be getting confused with municipal elections.

Maybe once I've had a look at it, I will better understand it.

Thanks

Yes, we have received our French ones (last Friday, unexpected as we had not registered this time, but seems it’s an in perpetuity thing.). Saturday’s post brought our UK postal voting forms, which we had expected since we had both renewed when due. Happily, or unhappily, this time, I had to vote in the UK, and these were sent off the same day. Won’t be in France to vote in person, and had not arranged a proxy or postal as I was in the Uk when it was due to be done. in fact I am Dublin typing this, on a tour of Ireland holiday, sun shining in my hotel room as I type at some unGodly hour of the morning, since I woke to French time, but pleased I did manage to vote at least. Of to enjoy the day, maybe I can sleep on the train on the way to Cork, which is today’s route!

Far too many lists, IMNVHO, though most will be knocked out as they wont get many votes. I suppose it does give people the chance to sound off which must be good. Well, better than smashing things up, burning vehicles and buildings and chucking cobbles at the CRS.

One hopes they do not detract from the essential job of defeating extremism in whatever form.

We received our French cards yesterday. We had also applied to UK as we were not sure we were on the French lists. If the UK postal vote arrives on time we would still prefer to vote in France with a view to keeping out the FN or similar parties. I know some people are on both French and UK lists but one then has to choose as it is illegal to vote twice.

Well, we got all chuffed as some new voting cards arrived in our post box yesterday. Our village has merged into a new commune but we have had voting cards for some years.
We thought, good we can definitely vote on Sunday then BUT printed on the cards - just under the address of where to vote it says - "valable uniquement pour les élections municipales".
To be fair this is what our original cards said but we had forgotten this.

Too late now but we will go to our Mairie at some point and ask why we cannot vote in the EU elections.

[quote user="Hereford"]
Well, we got all chuffed as some new voting cards arrived in our post box yesterday. Our village has merged into a new commune but we have had voting cards for some years.
We thought, good we can definitely vote on Sunday then BUT printed on the cards - just under the address of where to vote it says - "valable uniquement pour les élections municipales".

Too late now but we will go to our Mairie at some point and ask why we cannot vote in the EU elections.

[/quote]

Maybe your municipality has you down as non-EU residents.

Our cards arrived a few days ago. Printed on the front is:

La présent carte est valable exclusivement pour

LES ÉLECTIONS AU PARLEMENT EUROPEEN
LES ÉLECTIONS MUNICIPALES

However, I have no idea if we shall vote, nor which party we should choose, and none of them seem interested in our vote.

We expected by now to have received a flood of propaganda for the various parties, but, with only 4 days to go, absolutely zilch. No posters along the roads nor vehicles with blaring speakers, and we live on the main road 700 metres from the town centre, not in the middle of nowhere.

Hi
No they know we are British - we think that we probably should have gone to the Mairie once we were abolished from the Uk voting lists  earlier this year and asked, formally, to be able to vote in the EU elections.
Never mind, as you so with so many groups standing it is a minefield.

Surprisingly, the U.K. doesn't top the poll for voter apathy. By quite a long chalk. Funny, considering that some of the countries who do worse are apparently so happy to be EU members.

Ironically, even though Greece, Cyprus and Bulgaria (as well as Belgium and Luxembourg) have compulsory voting, it still doesn't get people to the polling booths...

http://www.ukpolitical.info/european-parliament-election-turnout.htm

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Hereford"]

[/quote]

Maybe your municipality has you down as non-EU residents.

Our cards arrived a few days ago. Printed on the front is:

La présent carte est valable exclusivement pour

LES ÉLECTIONS AU PARLEMENT EUROPEEN
LES ÉLECTIONS MUNICIPALES

However, I have no idea if we shall vote, nor which party we should choose, and none of them seem interested in our vote.

We expected by now to have received a flood of propaganda for the various parties, but, with only 4 days to go, absolutely zilch. No posters along the roads nor vehicles with blaring speakers, and we live on the main road 700 metres from the town centre, not in the middle of nowhere.

[/quote]

Oops, I didn't look at our cards!  But, yes, they say the same as yours.  PLUS today we received an envelope each stuffed full of information about the different parties.  I think we will have to memorise which colour we want[:-))]

I shall have to prime OH about which exact shade of which colour we are supporting[:D]

I also could not vote because we were in a foreign country - France.

Unfortunately it won't be classed as a "protest vote" as apparently the vote is higher than normal.

If Stoke on Trent is anything to go by it will show how thick the average voter is - as used by that racist person, adored by the UK and called Churchill.

And how other politicians on the right have also used them - Goodness there is even a conservative MP sitting there atm - a young lad who has used the mob BNP etc types in such a deprived area. (NB People who think they are middle class but live on a estate called Meir Park in the constituency are wrong - its a slum of the future at the current rate)

Trump is there waiting to make it the God of money by using the evangelical christian nutcases.

Just look at Maggie May - there every Sunday but the nastiest home secretary possible.