Ever stroked a great tit?

Ken

Well I have!! And before anyone takes offence let me say it was a young Great tit that one of my cats had chased into the garden shed.

I was walking in the garden and spotted a cat taking great notice of a bush!! As I approached a young Great tit flew out and into the shed followed by the cat. I ran in and shooed out the cat and spotted the bird sitting on a cross beam. Wanting to get the bird out I gently raised my hand to make it fly out but it wouldn't budge! I moved in closer and eventually I was gently stroking it. It seemed perfectly happy and gave a few 'cheeps' in apparent contentment but obviously it had to go, particularly as the cat was still watching from the doorway and licking its lips!!! I gently cupped the bird in both hands and again it didn't seem bothered, very strange! I took it outside and released it up into the air where it flew across the garden and into an adjoining field where it found a perch on a tree. From there it disappeared. I have never been able to stroke a wild bird like that before and it was a lovely thing to be able to do. I just hope that it quickly sharpens up its survival instincts!!!

Crossing the Bay of Biscay singlehanded from La Coruna to Falmouth in 1997 one evening I had a stormy petrel fly aboard.  It flew round the cabin and then landed on my collar.  Put my hand up and it hopped onto my finger.

I then took it up into the cockpit and it perched on a rope.  It was startled by a bit of gear moving and I stroked it for a while and it settled down and then stuck its head under a wing and went to sleep.

Stayed there for a couple of hours then flew off.

Apparently it isn't unusual for them to "hitch a lift" on vessels to have a rest.  Something you never forget.