Caterpillar tree destruction mk2

cajal

Most gardeners will be aware of the processionary caterpillar and the problems it causes.  Now its cousin, the box caterpillar and moth, from east Asia is making strong inroads around Europe destroying acres of box tree in its path.

Mme. c, fortunately, has been on top of this situation since last year and daily inspects and removes the caterpillars by hand from the dozen or so plants we purloined while visiting the countryside several years ago. However, our neighbour who lives in Paris and has several properties scattered around Europe hasn't visited here since early last summer and his once magnificent 2 metre high boxwood hedge surrounding his property has been all but obliterated by these insects within nine or ten months.

Anyone suffering the effects of these caterpillars or is just interested, the European Boxwood and Topiary Society has all the info here.

The solution to any caterpillar-related problem in the garden lies in a bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis. It is specific to caterpillars (but not sawflies) and can be used both as prevention and cure. The powder is mixed with water in a sprayer and applied to pines, oaks, box or whatever, preferably before the infestation is advanced. It's one of the few effective products left on the shelves, probably because it's not a chemical and doesn't harm other forms of insect. It is a shame that it's not more widely publicised.

The destruction caused by the box caterpillars in my area is horrific. My immediate neighbour treated her box hedges last year and they are now virtually the only green box for miles around. The farmer’s box hedge one meter away has had no leaves this year and is completely brown and eaten. This year I’ve been helping her with spraying and removing caterpillars.

I looked for more information on U.K. English language websites but found no mention of the bacterial treatment that so obviously works.

The life cycle of the pyrale du buis is interesting as the early caterpillars that we’re dealing with at the moment have hatched from eggs laid last autumn that have over-wintered in pouches made from two box leaves. We had expected to have to wait until the first butterflies/moths arrived before starting the treatment but in annual terms the caterpillars come first. Another observation is that you will find many of the caterpillars suspended on silk threads from hazelnut trees growing over paths. These will lodge in your hair and on your clothing and be transported to other places. I spent some time yesterday photographing this weird phenomenon, it really looks as though the caterpillars are levitating and they rise and fall as the branch above blows in the wind. I am interested by the fact that the adult obviously lays eggs on the hazelnut leaves even though they are not eaten by the caterpillars when they hatch. Another near neighbour has pointed out that his box hedges are less affected where they are under walnut trees. However, even there, they are badly affected even though he sprayed them last year. At his house there is new growth on the box under the walnut trees.

https://pyrale-du-buis.com/description-biologie.htm

Plants with the suffix 'Thunbergiensis' are named in honour of Carl Peter Thunberg. Thuringiensis indicates that it was discovered (for the second time) by a German scientist in Thuringia. There you go ;-) Mea culpa x 20. With a couple of Hail Marys thrown in. I blame the second glass of Colombelle. (Look it up!)

Ok, thanks - but my quick googling says that the latin ending ensis is a latin suffix added to a place as in Thuringia.

Thunberg is a bloke.

So is Thunbergiensis strictly a latin word??

Just interested.

Edit A bit more poking and -ia seems to be the ending for persons as in Thunbergia.

I may well have learned something today.

Edit 2 "Vino Combellesiensis" looks quite potent stuff

This latin lark is quite instructive.. if I'm getting the system right.

Were you by any chance a taxonomist in a former life? Or perhaps a taxinspector? ;-) Colombelle is one of the great undiscovered treasures of the SW. An interesting story lies behind it as it was considered too inferior to be made into Armagnac, the viticulteurs turned to the USA for advice on how to develop a decent dry white from Colombard and Ugni Blanc and Colombelle was born.....yum! Give me a minute and I'll try to weave a tenuous link with pesky caterpillars ;-)

I believe it was you who introduced the drink to the caterpillar thread. Colombelles is a place and if the liquid was from there I was merely trying to be amusing with latin. Plainly I was wrong. Also I am one who has not yet discovered the undiscovered treasure of Colombelle.

My OH does have FCA and CTA letters after her name and I have never stuffed a dead animal in my life - though what that has to do with caterpillars I dont know.

Given the latin word and name references I would be very grateful if you or another intellectually gifted (as described by YCCMB) person with some grasp of latin (which I dont) can explain if the premise I put forward concerning latin suffixes for places and people is correct or not and hence if the word you first used to describe the bacterium was truly latin or not.

But a bacterium isn't a plant and its the specific word that I am questioning anyways.

Dont think there is a plant called that as it didn't show up in a search did it. That should be some clue as to it being a correct word or name as well as the latin construct.

Is the latin construct correct?

Certainly got taxonomist wrong didn't I. I am learning a bit here. (mixed up with taxidermist)

The linnaeus system is a classification system not a naming system in the sense of one word.

Thunbergia is a genus (part of classification) of flowering plants. (named after a person hence the suffix.)

"Thunbergiensis' - does it exist? is it correct latin or not?

http://tai2.ntu.edu.tw/taiwania/pdf/tai.1999.44.230.pdf

Read through the abstract and you will find thunbergiensis. Polypodiidites T.to be exact.

Effects of forest management on biodiversity in temperate ...

Also this but you will have to purchase the full report to find the specific link:

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S...

Effects of forest management on biodiversity in temperate deciduous forests: An overview based on Central European ... and Hymenoptera thunbergiensis on wet sandstone ...

You need a better search engine.

As to the question is this word proper latin, it depends what you mean by proper latin. If you mean used by the Romans, then most certainly no - along with many/most genus descriptions.

Likewise you won't find Sirdavidii in any Latin dictionary (plant named after Davis Attenborough).

Many thanks Andy. I have learned quite a bit with this thread.

How bizarre, but just googled thunbergiensis and lo and behold apart from suggesting the alternative there are multiple other references to bacteria of that name killing caterpillars!

Perhaps the original post of Noisette was indeed appropriate.

well? there were I thinkin that this thread were about caterpillars? Instead it seems to be about a dead language???

I have to admit that it's one of the joys of being back here in the U.K. Not having to worry about the pine Caterpillar jobbies! Although they seem to have enough of the oak jobbies in London to keep them happy there. It was one of the joys of my life to bin all 23 of the traps I had made. Now all I have to worry about is cutting the grass every few daze because of the rain showers interspersed with nice warm sunshine. Between times I just sit and listen to it growing.

Another nice break is the Badminton Horse Trials about 1 1/2 miles over the fields. We will have a wander over there on Saturday and watch some of the cross country me-thinks.

I have always wondered what they do with the guilty houses during the trials? [8-)][:-))]

Not according to my OH, but I actually I use a very modern and convenient taxonomy classification system - the ROYGBIV system. Simple to use and she is now competent.

Must admit I do admire her knowledge of older systems though I do the donkey work.

I'm sure the thread "discussion" will be useful at garden centres.

Perhaps rather strong insecticide is another alternative.