Bugs eating my mint

Lori

I have planted a small herb garden; oregano, thyme, sage, mint and rosemary (several of each).  The mint seems to have attracted some kind of insect.  I'd like to purchase something to protect it from the bugs, yet still be able to eat the leaves. 

Can anyone recommend what I should buy?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Well I know Fox gloves are not herbs but—— I have grown some Foxgloves from seed and planted a couple out to' test the water' as it were. Sure enough they were eaten to the ground by, probably, slugs.

I won't use any type of chemical in the garden and after a little research found a suggestion about surrounding plants with gravel!! As I'm also in the process of replacing my gravel driveway with stone I just happen to have a few tons of the stuff.

Using just a very small amount to surround some more planted Foxgloves I was surprised to find that it worked!! Apparently slugs don't like walking across gravel! It may well work for herb gardens too as more than likely slugs are the main culprit with the herb problem.

Thanks so much for that Ken.  If it is slugs, they sure do hide well as I've never seen one anywhere, even when I was digging holes to plant the herbs.  There is a nice cour off the back of the house we are living in.  It has an area where there are a few trees and a patch of terrain.  This is where I put the herbs. 

I do see lots of tiny flying bugs.  I think they may be the culprits.  Like you, I have not sprayed anything.  Funny that the oregano, rosemary and thyme do not get eaten.  Just the mint.

I hope it helps. Odd that you should mention 'flying bugs' as well, as oregano, rosemary and thyme.

In working on my drive I had a run in with a wasp nest. Two stings later I researched how to 'dissuade' them. I certainly didn't want to kill them, they do a good job. I did, however, want them to move house!

Amongst the methods to get them to move is to place some rosemary and thyme, oregano, peppermint or vinegar near the nest! Apparently wasps have a highly sensitive sense of smell. I used a spray of vinegar around the nest (easy to do!) and sure enough they have started packing their bags!!

• 3 months later...

I am using Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, pruchased from amazon. I have read about a recipe to prevent insects on another forum . It was the mixture of table salt, white vinegar and dish wash. you can try this as well.

• Like 1