Late availability

Alan

How do others take deposits for late availability bookings? The last one I had I told them to pay me on arrival the full amount as the booking was within 7 days. However during the 7 days I turned down bookings from the tourist office who were needing a room urgently. It all worked out ok and the people turned up.i would just like to add most of our business has come from them this year and not many from my advertisements.
I had an enquiry today for next Saturday for which I do have a room available but to be honest the woman really doesnt sound to sure and I think if I could take a deposit then she would be committed.

If you have still an english account and your customer is in england of course get them to pay into your account by giro in cash at the same bank (Barclays, Nat west etc) as if it is the same bank your money will be shown as a deposit on the same day. Then you can check it is there via internet banking, assuming you have that of course. I do this and it works well. If the customer pays in by cheque then of course you need clearing time to be sure your funds are there. Swift payments are quite good and often arrive the same day but can take up to 3 days to arrive.

Maureen

If you have a few rooms, are registered and have a business account in France then why not apply for a credit card machine and take deposits over the phone immediately - money arrives in your account next day. Cost from Credit Agricole 26euros a month for the machine plus 0.9% on each transaction, machine needs to be insured but just declare its value to insurers and it's included with general contents. You can accept cards from all over the world - not everyone wants to pay in sterling.