We received our drinks licence from the douanne in Gueret in the post this morning but I'm not sure we've got the right one. I asked for a petite licence for chambre d'hote and they've given me a "Category 1" licence which according to the blurb on the back entitles me to serve "boissons sans alcool" from the premier groupe, but doesn't say what the premier groupe includes. This is okay for breakfast but if we want to do the occasional evening meal, say Sunday and Monday when local restaurants are closed, and we include wine with the price of the meal, is this the correct licence category? The only other one I can see on the document is a "Petite Licence" under the Restaurant section which entitles the holder to sell drinks but only with a meal.

Have we got the right one? Can someone please advise as we don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

Many thanks

Dave

Groupe 1 : Boissons sans alcool, eaux minérales ou gazéifiées, jus de fruits ou de légumes non fermentés ou ne comportant pas à la suite d’un début de fermentation des traces d’alcool supérieur à 1,2°, limonades, sirops, infusions, lait, café, thé, chocolat, etc.

Licence 1ère catégorie (licence I) dite " licence des boissons sans alcool ", relative au groupe 1.

Groupe 2 : Boissons fermentées non distillées à savoir : vins, bières, cidres, poirés, hydromels, vins doux naturels soumis au régime fiscal des vins, crème de cassis et les jus de fruits ou de légumes fermentés.

Licence 2ème catégorie (licence II) dite " licence de boissons comportant de 1,2 à 3 % d’alcool fermenté ", relative au groupe 1 et 2.

Groupe 3 : Autres vins doux naturels, vins de liqueur, apéritifs à base de vin, ainsi que les liqueurs de fraises, de framboises, de cassis ou de cerises, ne tirant pas plus de 18 % d’alcool pur.

Licence 3ème catégorie (licence III) dite " licence restreinte ", relative aux groupes 1,2,3.

Groupe 4 : Rhums, tafias, alcools de vins, cidres, poirés et fruits ne comportant aucune addition d’essence ainsi que les liqueurs édulcorées au moyen de sucre, de glucose ou de miel à raison de 400 g minimum par litre pour les liqueurs anisées et de 200 g minimum par litre pour les autres liqueurs et ne contenant pas plus d’1/2 gramme d’essence par litre.

Groupe 5 : Toutes les autres boissons alcooliques.

Licence 4ème catégorie (licence IV) dite " licence de plein exercice " ou " grande licence ", relative aux 5 groupes.

Thanks for your prompt reply but I'm still confused. Can I serve, not sell, wine with a meal?

Dave

OK understood. I've just done a search and come across a post which indicates I should have asked for a Petite Licence for Table d'Hote which includes group 1 & 2 drinks but as we will only be offering evening meals occasionally, therefore not full blown table d'hote, I didn't think it necessary. Looks like I will have to change it to be on the safe side.

Dave

OK understood. I've just done a search and come across a post which indicates I should have asked for a Petite Licence for Table d'Hote which includes group 1 & 2 drinks but as we will only be offering evening meals occasionally, therefore not full blown table d'hote, I didn't think it necessary. Looks like I will have to change it to be on the safe side.

Somewhere on here and not long ago, I posted what the licence required actually was. Is that on the thread you found ?

On the above list, a drinks lic 3 would almost certainly be a no, no. A drinks lic 4 (proper licensed premisies, like a bar) is a certain no, no for a chambres d'hôtes. Both of the above would require being with the C de Co and even then, you would never get a lic 4 anyway.

Sorry there is no such thing as a full blown table d'hôtes. You serve one meal a year, you are a table d'hôtes simple as that. French beaurocracy doesn't do part time table d'hôtes !

Not expensive to get, so worth getting it right, just in case and don't forget, no drinks can be served unless with a meal. I see looking at some of the folks on here that they are chancing their arm a bit

Thanks Miki. Yes it was one of your posts. Looks like another trip to the Douanne. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

Dave