Famous Guests

Quillan

Sugs off Maddness's mam, does that count? and a very famous( in london anyway)artist called Beazer who has just finished painting Gazzer and currently doing an exibition at the barbican and was the mind behind bob the builder, they liked to drink champagne here all day in the middle of house hunting

We were a bit surprised when Johnny Wilkinson booked, because there was press speculation at the time that he was about to come back from injury and be selected to tour with the Lions, just when he would be staying in our house.

Turned out to be another Johnny Wilkinson

Patrick

I'm not comfortable with this thread.  Do you not feel a need to be discreet about your guests, whether famous and unknown?  If I ran b&b/gite and had a famous or well-known guest, I probably wouldn't be able to resist telling my friends and family but to post on a public website?  It feels wrong and unethical somehow.

[quote]I'm not comfortable with this thread. Do you not feel a need to be discreet about your guests, whether famous and unknown? If I ran b&b/gite and had a famous or well-known guest, I probably woul...[/quote]

Absolutely right. We have a notice on our visitors book that says we have the right to use any comments or names as we see fit and to publish them wherever. People then have the choice to add comment or not. We also tell them this when we offer the book so there is misunderstanding. All have shown a great readiness to add comment and sign it.

So yes if you plan to publicise this type of information one should be aware of the countries privacy laws and data protection acts in which you publish them. One should ALWAYS seek permission from the person/s concerned.

Miki - Which one ? Last I heard EP was alive and well and living in Croydon .

I have worked with, seen, served a meal to, spoke with and shook hand with many famous, even some royal, people in my life.  In France as well as in UK.    

Also had to be vetted as a safe employee by a foreign government so that their king could spend a safe trouble free holiday at the hotel I worked at...Many moons ago!

Worked  with : 1 TV chef

Seen, served a meal to and spoke with : 1 TV soap actress, 1 cinema actress, 1 cinema actor, 1 premier league football team, 1 national rugby team, 1 son of a famous designer, 1 retired Prime Minister.

Shook hand with and spoke to : 3 major members of a Royal family

But that is where the name dropping will stop. I won't even say the nationality of each.

As you and I will be forever some anonymous bods in their lives, so they will remain anonymous for you all.

They are in my mind though, for all of their many different foibles!

[quote]Cripes and WOW MBThat's some B&B you got there And all we have ever had is Elvis Patel (the genuine one !) and yes Chris, one of the Patel karaoke dynasty[/quote]

I knew their father well. I used to go to Southall Tech on block release as part of my degree course in aeronautical engineering back in the early 70's. He used to drink guiness in the pub on the corner by the railway bridge and Elvis sang in the evenings.

Those were the days when I went to get my petrol coupons at lunch time and there was a queue the length of the high street at the post office in Southall. I couldn't get mine because of the queue and when I went back and mentioned it to my class mates. They told me they were not queuing for the coupons but to get a tax disk as you had show this to get the coupons. Turns out there was only 5 people in the queue for the coupons.

[quote]I knew their father well. I used to go to Southall Tech on block release as part of my degree course in aeronautical engineering back in the early 70's. He used to drink guiness in the pub on the corn...[/quote]

That's the pub Chris, we used to pass it regularly on the way to Wickes and then on through to Lady Margaret Road.

The last time I saw the pub (long time back now !) there was a full size mock up of him on the side of the pub. First time I ever saw "You've tried the cowboys... now try the Indians" was on the side of a van owned by one of the tradesmen in their car park.

Aaaaaaaaaaah The good old days. Men were men and women were glad of us. Petrol was 35p a Gallon (remember gallons) and a larger was 22p a pint, Lou Reed was singing 'Take a walk on the wild side'. My uncle played the sax on that by the way. And the girls, well............ lets put it this way it was a very nice long summer.

Talking of advertising we used to see a old hearst driving round Docklands with things like 'Dead cheap carpets' etc written on the sides and back