Urgent problem re payment of court order

Blodwyn

Sorry this is very vague, 2nd hand info, but a friend is very concerned for a Brit who hasn't much French and doesn't live near enough for them to help in person.

Court has found against someone in a dispute with next door farmer. They have to pay €15,000 by 16th August but can't. Willing to pay with a payment plan but say this isn't allowed, and bailiffs will repossess house. Person can probably raise €4000 soon.

The person believes the farmer has the power to insist on the date for payment. Their lawyer is not responding.

My questions: Is there someone/somewhere people can go for help over something like this? It seems cruel that they could lose their home when they are willing to make a downpayment and then instalments. We suggested they try the Mairie for a start. Any helpful sugestions appreciated.

Blodwyn wrote the following post at 05 Aug 2020 15:14:

My questions: Is there someone/somewhere people can go for help over something like this? It seems cruel that they could lose their home when they are willing to make a downpayment and then instalments. We suggested they try the Mairie for a start. Any helpful sugestions appreciated.

The Mairie is an excellent place to start. Hopefully they will give you/them the Tel number and/or email of the 'Conciliateur de Justice' for their area .. these are usually very helpful and very knowledgeable people. I have used one to obtain (successfully) help for an aged friend threatened with being thrown out of her rented flat by her greedy landlady.