French Citizenship - Language Query

Daft Doctor

I'm starting to put together a dossier to apply for French citizenship through naturalisation. Regarding command of the French language, the list of required documents includes either a TEF or TCF certificate at B1 level. researching online, these are standard French proficiency tests, with a certficate being valid for 2 years.

What I'm unclear about is whether a valid certificate must be included with the dossier at the outset, or whether the certfifcate can be added to the dossier once it is in the system? Does this requirement also now mean that there is no longer the opportunity to show French proficiency at the interview which occurs much further down the line?

I'm actually quite keen to have my French formally tested, at it will focus my mind in advance of the test, and give me some certification to refer to if ever needed, not just in respect of citizenship. If however, this approach will delay the compilation of the citizenship dossier unduly, and there remains a less formal way of providing proof down the line, I might think again. Any (current) insight would be most appreciated. Just to note, since April 2020 there are no age exemptions on proving French proficiency for citizenship...

My own experience is no longer current.
The interview wasn't so much to test one's language ability, since that was assumed, as to probe knowledge of French history and culture.
It did require a reasonable level of oral fluency though.

There is a basic booklet which can help to prepare

I wonder how much it has changed.

An English friend in the Gard took citizenship in 2019 and studied a booklet, which could be the one Norman linked to.

She worked really hard at it and also read up pretty widely on the history and traditions of France, and worked each week with a friend to improve her French language and knowledge of France. That was on top of the excellent group French conversation classes that we attended each week for years plus constant chatting to French neighbours and friends.

She would be the first to say that her French speaking isn’t perfect, and she speaks with an English accent (she is English and most French people seem to think it’s joli) but she can be perfectly understood and understands most that is said.

Many of us rejoiced on the day she gained citizenship.

Precise details vary from one préfecture to another (so check the website for yours), but generally, the language certificate needs to be included in the dossier.

Consider taking the DELF - it is valid for life, which can be handy given the time it takes for some to complete the assault course. For me (and my wife), it was comparatively fast - 27 months from start to finish (22 months from interview). Some préfectures can take 5 years!

You also need to demonstrate reasonable proficiency (NOT fluency) at the interview.

Not knowing my level of french I did the test out of curiosity. I got one wrong and it didn't say which one, which is galling, because I thought I had them all right[blink]. So I am level B2.

I would hope that the tests for french nationality had the likes of the actors in Engrenages speaking. That is daily french.

And, I just did the test mentioned, and a managed a B2 avancé. I was convinced that I had bungled one of the answers, but apparently not.

Luckily I gained my French nationality before the introduction of the language test though, I think I might struggle in real test environment.

And yet Engrenages is main stream tv, and flic and voyou are also

just part of the french language, perhaps not what a child would put in an essay, but still, all this argot is used.  People happily say la fisc, or le fric without thinking and these assorted  'terms' seem endless.

Do those who desire to be 'french' have to know all this, I do wonder, and if these things are not obligatoire, then I wonder about all this nationality business. Although for you, it is a family thing, and so I do get it.

ps I would love to know which one I got wrong, I still cannot work it out.

Idun, did your test start with a question about a passport? If you try it again, and the first question is the passport one, then the correct answers are

1 Passport question, reponse C.

2 Vous allez bien? reponse C.

3 Martha, reponse C.

4 Pantalon, reponse B.

5 Marianne, reponse D.

6 Antoine, reponse B .

7 Café, reponse B.

8 cinema, reponse D.

9 tennis, reponse B.

10 Marion, reponse A.

11 blah blah, reponse A.

12 restaurant, reponse C.

13 chocolat, reponse D.

14 blah blah, reponse D .

I understand why folks want to get French nationality because they have French ancestors etc.

I can understand migrants/immigrants wanting to get French nationality because they need a new home after fleeing there home country from war... or this that or the other.

I struggle to understand why Brits want French nationality just because they live here. Especially those in their goldern years if you like. You don't need it.

They just clog up the system and make it longer for those who do need.

I do feel like it is a trophy for them rather than anything more practical.

Anyway, I am not getting it. Rather be kicked out.

I should imagine rules will tighten given the amount of Brits applying.

If not the Dordogne will become 'officially' British. LOL.

How about choosing to become a full citizen of the Republic in which you have decided to live, rather than the subject of of the monarch of a country in which  you were born by chance, and which you have chosen to leave?

That is not necessarily my reason but it could be one.

You, NH can have many reasons, and in fact you are a french pensioner too.[:D]

What I would say is that when I moved to France in 81, I was a republican.  I amazed myself as to how quickly I detested the way the french republic worked.  And I never did get to like 'a republic' any better in those 27 years.

And saying that for all, I actually agreed with much that Tonton did, as I said a prompt realisation that I rather liked having Queenie there, a comfort with someone above politicians

My view has never changed since then.  And I still reckon that I would need to 'feel french' to have ever considered taking nationality. Our son, who remained in France, isn't french either. It would have been easy peasy for him to take it, but he didn't, he chose not to. When he marries his french fiance, maybe he will feel differently about it, mais ca, c'est n'est pas mes oignons.[Www]