Taxes and running a gite

jsb

I've tried this already on the legal site but had no answers, so I'm changing tactics!  Can anyone tell me how renting out part of our house (our house is our full time residence and we would be renting for the winter season only) would affect our taxes, foncière & habitation.  Even better, if someone knows how this would affect the capital gains tax, when we decide to sell it.  When we bought the house it needed lots and lots of work, the house is now worth 3 or 4 times as much.  We don't know if it's worth going down the renting route or to just leave it.  From experience, every time I ask a question at our local tax office, I end up with various forms to fill out meaning that we pay more tax so any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

If you sell the house as it is you wont be liable for taxes if its your main residence.

Tax wise on gite, on our last house we was allowed up to 15K tax free, shouldn't affect tax fonc or hab.

Probably depends on department, contact your local toursism office, they will also tell you what you may need to become registered.

Also best to let the insrurance know, didnt cost any extra for us.

Regards