WA Titre de Sejour

CeeJay

Had my interview (?) and submitted papers on Jan 14th at Montpellier but have heard nothing since.

Is this a common time frame and do I keep waiting or try to elicit information from the Prefecture.

Interested to know experience of others.

Did mine earlier in the month, interview and extra papers not needed and have a date to take in photos and get finger printed again in Arras in late April. Tried to shift it all to Montreuil sur Mer as it is just down the road but they werent having it. Touch wood, it seems smooth so far.

I received an email from my local prefecture yesterday saying my 10 year CDS will be posted to me shortly.

I had heard nothing since I applied way back in September other than the acknowledgement of application.

Being prudent a couple of years ago when I renewed my original CDS when Brexit was imminent has paid off I'm pleased to say.

I recall the British government advising us that we should do so to ease the transition to the 10 year card.

I am somewhat surprised that I don't have to supply another photo but I suppose the fingerprints haven't changed!!!! presumably they think I have kept my good looks too!!!!

The interviews are probably because people didn't bother to renew their old CDS. As in my case many years ago having a card became redundant and I also didn't bother to renew. (In fact I did try but the French authorities simply said it wasn't necessary and refused)

Because of Brexit it did become necessary, on the advice of the British government we were advised to renew the old card but many simply didn't bother. Now, it would seem, many are having to go through the whole procedure again as a result, hence the interviews, documents and fingerprints etc.

When I wrote that I had an interview it was meant in the loosest possible sense, just a matter of giving in the old cds, providing fingerprints and a photo.

Just checking to see if my 2 months plus wait is normal or if there is a hiccup!

We had our visit at the prefecture in Mont de Marsan on January 7th. Almost an in-and-out job, handed over new photos, and our current TdS. Were told the new ones would be posted to us 'in a few months'. Obviously haven't got them yet and it's nearly April but not overly worried, it seems like every prefecture has its own schedule.

Good luck!

As requested, when we went to hand over our photos and be fingerprinted, we took our passports, a photo each, and copies of the emails we received, which had a reference number

We were not asked to show our current Titres, didn't offer them, and were not asked for them.

I'm wondering how many people were asked to surrender their current Titres, which are still valid until replaced, and could be needed before the new ones are received, and how many offered them to the fonctionnaire, who, being a fonctionnaire, hung on to them "just in case".

The interviews are probably because people didn't bother to renew their old CDS. As in my case many years ago having a card became redundant and I also didn't bother to renew. (In fact I did try but the French authorities simply said it wasn't necessary and refused)

Because of Brexit it did become necessary, on the advice of the British government we were advised to renew the old card but many simply didn't bother. Now, it would seem, many are having to go through the whole procedure again as a result, hence the interviews, documents and fingerprints etc.

What are you talking about. Everyone has to apply online. Anyone who has a previous CdS, even if expired, has a very straightforward application process. There is no interview.

My wife and I both had a CdS permanent pre-Brexit and applied for a WA card online in October. Mrs DD simply got an email at the end of Feb advising her that her new card was on the way and 2 weeks later it duly arrived, the prefecture re-used the photo on file. I however got an email a couple of weeks after Mrs DD asking me to send in new photos and new signature. I've now also had the email saying the new card is on its way, but no idea why my photo and signature needed to be renewed, as it only dates from 2019....

As an aside, way back in 2016, just before the Brexit vote, I was advised by my American friend to get a CdS even if it wasn't needed, as the system would get clogged if the UK voted to leave. I was lambasted by someone on the forum by such scaremongering, as Brexit wasn't going to happen and getting a CdS was a waste of time. Well here we are 5 years down the line, and I am very pleased to have followed my friend's advice. Our CdS will have been exchanged with a minimum of fuss, which by the sound of things isn't the general experience for many......

DD,
Thanks, most interesting. What is becoming evident is that each prefecture is operating in a different way, ours, Beziers (34) followed the recommended procedure, for 10yr permanent existing cards. But most seem to expect a meeting to hand over the "old" card, take fingerprints etc, so doing it all by post is the exception, but not unknown.

Ken,
Using the word interview is in some respects correct even for what we did, short visit etc, as we did not know whether they would take fingerprints (they didn't) but that I believe depends on whether they already have them on file. They are supposed to verify ID regardless, so that means some sort of visit.

But this being France, of course the fonctionnaires interpret the rules each in their own sweet way.

Judith,

I understood what was meant by 'interview' though others obviously didn't!

As I said in a previous post my CDJ is being sent to me and , apparently, I don't have to make a visit, hand in my old card or anything. It does seem as if different departments and prefectures are handling the procedure differently but as long as the card arrives I shan't complain.

We shall see!!!!

Just to add Creuse (23):

applied October 2020 (already had CDs 10 Yr dated Feb 2019)

Both received e-mails to attend prefecture, but unfortunately not on same day. Don't know if we missed something when completing online application as I know other couples who have been called in with appts one after the other.

OH went last Mon. Me next Tues. Our emails were different, mine had my name and a ref. no., his just a ref no. Plus he was asked on email to take proof of domicile. Not on my email. Rest of the list the same:passport, current titre card, photo, black pen.

Passport checked, photo stuck on a sheet, signature in box next to photo, current titre taken.

I asked if I could be processed same time, no such luck!

Well our son had an RdV this week and they took his card,  he got that last year and knew that he would need another. Then they had the audacity to say that the new one should be ready in a couple of months or before the end of October.

So now he has NOTHING! they refused to issue a recipisse and said to carry his passport at all times and proof of address as 'current' as possible. And IF the gendarmes cause a fuss tell them to call the Prefecture.......... you cannot make it up can you. The least they should have done was issue a recipisse, but no, too xxxx lazy to do that.

All very well for retraites, but he works and he crosses into another department to work and works unsocial hours, so the possibility of him being stopped is rather high.

He said that he simply had had to keep calm and accept what he was being told, but me, I AM FURIOUS!

EDIT

He had actually been led to believe that this RdV was to pick up his new card, that is what they said last time. GRRRRRRR!!! Fonctionnaires GRRRRR, will they ever get any better!!!!!!!!!

We knew from the email accompanying our appointment info that we would be handing in our existing cards so we scanned and printed them then asked the Mairie to stamp them as authentic. OH also kept a copy on his Smartphone. The new ones arrived in the post (signed for) after about 3 weeks; we had the scans of the old cards in the meantime. It didn't seem a big deal. Maybe it would have been if I'd needed to travel to / back from the UK in that period but I doubt even that would have been a problem providing such travel met Covid travel regs.

Sorry to hear your story Idun.  I do hope, like Catalpa, your son kept a scanned copy of his Titre.  That is always the first thing we do when we get a new Titre (or any other formal document).

I know it may not suffice for some Gendarmes, but it is better than nothing.

Why they wouldn't issue a récépissé is anyone's guess.  It is his right to have one (as you know).  We have always been issued a récépissé and told to always keep it with us until the permanent card arrives. 

How can he even prove he left his card/dossier with them?  Does he have a dossier number or anything?  I hope he has the woman's name.

I can imagine how frustrated you (and he) would be.  I'm not sure I would have left my card without it.  Would have asked to speak to someone else who could explain why it wasn't being issued and/or not given them my only titre.  I do realize that could have caused an issue, but I probably would have done it.