chocolat chaud...

morning all

ok..... so we're soooooo near to getting gdf in for the dreaded inspection.

silly question of the day:

do you offer hot chocolate for brekkie? if so, have you got a fancy machine to do frothy things and the like?..... or is it ok to buy a pot of powder from champion and just add milk/water? do the french expect yummy stuff? do you just serve it ready-made in a big cup-mug thing?

more naughty questions to follow soon.....

thanks!

squidge x

We always offer a choice of coffee, tea or chocolate for breakfast. We have powdered chocolate and we usually end up throwing the tin at the end of the year and it's still 3/4 full. We also offer the big French cups as the French and Belgians in particular like to dunk. The cup is 'laid' with the rest of the table and we just give them the tin and a small jug of hot milk. Those that ask for chocolate seem to be quite happy with that. At the end of the day it's what you feel happy with.

A lot of our French guests like hot chocolate especially in the winter & it is a must for children of all nationalities - I ran out of the French Poulain variety last year during a busy French wedding party weekend so used Cadbury's drinking choc instead & what a success - got through a couple of litres of milk the next morning as everyone wanted some.......it also dissolves better than the French variety - no powdery residue in bottom of cup.   Currently have an Israeli family staying & the kids will drink nothing else so far.  Agree with Quillan about the big cups - the French & Belgians love to dunk & it makes less mess on the tablecloth with a big cup, but I do mix it in the kitchen prior to serving - again makes less mess.

We are with GdF & our local inspector insists on a choice of tea, coffee or hot chocolate especially for 3-4 epis, but it depends on your region & expected clientele.  Good luck with the inspection.

Off topic I know but how many of your guests who take plain yogurt for breakfast laddle sugar in it? and what nationality.? the reason I ask is my 3 year old charge is left 2 sachets/sticks of sugar for one petit filous (minature ) plain yougurt. The crunch makes me cringe!

"do you offer hot chocolate for brekkie? if so, have you got a fancy machine to do frothy things and the like?..... or is it ok to buy a pot of powder from champion and just add milk/water? do the french expect yummy stuff? do you just serve it ready-made in a big cup-mug thing?"

We stayed in a B&B last week in St Malo and the chocolat chaud was delivered in form of a jar of Poulain powder with a jug of milk and a large cup (no saucer) very French.

Lovely simple place, not G de F but Clevacances (sp?)

Reply to Jon

Q. just curious...why St Malo

A. en route home to U.K. after a long visit to 17

Q. and where was the B and B?

A. St. Servan owned by delightful French couple who now greet us like long lost friends

Q. Are you living in France?

A. No, we are second home people and our house is now let for the Summer

Blanche Neige

"Curiosity killed the cat and satisfation brought it back" [:)]

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

Opas

I think this has been a standard way to eat natural yoghout and fromage blanc etc. for years and years. I certainly remember the family eating these foods with sugar when I au-paired and that was a long time ago.[blink]

[/quote]

About 13 years ago our first holiday with our eldest daughter was in France, en route to our destination we stayed in a chambre d'hote, the 9 month old was offered yogurt with sugar for her breakfast, I was quite horrified by that as UK health Visitors all dictacted that nothing sweet or salt was added to babys diet.........

I am just curious as to why French folks feel the need to sweeten up a perfectly good Yogurt or fromage blanc with sugar.........and the child I look after doesn't complain when I do not put sugar on the table  for her yogurt when her mother or cleaner arn't around to wait on her every need.

This from someone who could polish off a box of chocs tout seul, but i wouldn't dream of eating plain yogurt except au naturel....

The GdF rating form shows the following under "Composition du petit déjeuner":

Le petit-déjeuner doit être copieux et généraux quel que soit le classement.
Œufs/charcuterie/laitages/céréales sur la table - 2 points
Viennoiseries ou pâtisserie maison sur la table - 2 points (obligatory for 3 or 4 épis)
Fruits frais ou jus de fruit de qualité sur la table - 1 point (obligatory for 3 or 4 épis)
Café/thé/chocolat/pain/beurre/confitures, le tout à volonté - 1 point (obligatory for all ratings)

Each section on the rating form must reach a minimum standard; the total points overall count towards the épi rating.

• 3 weeks later...
Let's not get too worked up about this - it's only chocolate, for frig's sake.  Get a pack of Poulain (my preference) or even Nesquik and mix it in with UHT milk heated in the microwave.  The kids prefer a bowl of the Nesquik crap anyway.