Harrassment

Angie

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Val_2"]Does the OP realise by law he must register his property with the local mairie if he is letting it out for payment? Therefore the property if properly registered will already be known to the local maire and normally the maire does not get involved in domestic disputes between neighbours, he might send an adjoint round but not very often unless it impedes on the whole commune.[/quote]

I was under the impression, but I stand to be corrected, only Chambres D'Hotes need to be registered.

[/quote]

Well - you are misinformed then Quillan. Val_2 is correct...ANY furnished accommodation rented out for tourist purposes need to be declared to your local mairie (whether or not you are classified by your local prefecture).

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/R14321.xhtml

There may be the small issues of income tax and taxe de séjour to consider..........

Simon :-)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"] I wonder how many Brits have holiday homes in Wales and how many attempt to learn Welsh, which is by the way the first language of Wales? .[/quote]

If by first you mean original, you're right, Quillan.  If by first you mean the one spoken  by most of the inhabitants, you're wrong.  Only about one in five of the population of Wales is Welsh-speaking, though the number has been going up recently. Welsh and English now have legal parity in Wales and strenuous efforts are being made to ensure that Welsh can be more easily used in all aspects of everyday life.

Hi Steve

What you describe sounds awful, it would drive me absolutely crazy. And to have your land used by all and sundry when you are not there?, worse still. I completely agree that you have made as much effort with your neighbours as you should have to.

Other than putting gates in as you are planning there is little you can do IMHO. Fencing 6 acres would be insanely expensive and would probably spoil your land. Is there any way you can secure a smaller area of garden/courtyard around your house without spoiling views and landscaping?

I wish you luck and the hope that they will eventually get sick of bothering you!

Val_2 wrote:
Does

the OP realise by law he must register his property with the local

mairie if he is letting it out for payment? Therefore the property if

properly registered will already be known to the local maire and

normally the maire does not get involved in domestic disputes between

neighbours, he might send an adjoint round but not very often unless it

impedes on the whole commune.

** Quillan said "I was under the impression, but I stand to be corrected, only Chambres D'Hotes need to be registered."

Any property that is let out should be registered with the Mairie be it B&B / Gîte /or your second home, if you let it to others when you are not there.

I am not sure why questions are being asked about O.Ps business and letting terms.

edit: ** I see this has already been answered.

We have a list for our council of local rented properties so the mairie does know who does what. I mentioned this point because all the OP needs to do is complain to his local maire/adjoints about his clients being harassed whilst ontheir holidays and it may bring some result, after all it is income for the commune if they spend locally and good for tourism and some menacing neighbour is not good for business nor the commune as a whole. I also endorse the point that the OP should make a point of once and for all, sitting down and talking through this problem with the perpetrators,it may not be what he thinks if he does not understand french fluently enough and possibly something extremely important. Imagine if there are plans for building a lotissement right on his border and this neighbour is also affected but needs support in campaigning against the proposal,hence all the incessant clamouring, who knows or maybe someone renting the property has done something they have not confessed to!

The dreaded "integration" came up again! I seriously doubt that many people really integrate properly, but I find it very hard to believe that visiting for a few weeks each year is sufficient for integration. Most of us, I believe, just learn to get along, which is not quite the same thing.

I'm with Simon on this one. Sort it out face to face or move somewhere else.

[quote user="virginia.c"]Hi Steve What you describe sounds awful, it would drive me absolutely crazy. And to have your land used by all and sundry when you are not there?, worse still. I completely agree that you have made as much effort with your neighbours as you should have to. [/quote]

Really virginia.c ? exactly WHAT effort has Steve made with his neighbours (or the mairie)? No evidence so far of one constructive thing he's done - just whinge, whinge, whinge.....He states he wouldn't put up with 'it' in the UK - so WHAT does he do there then? I don't see that France is that different - no exactly Pluto is it?

I wouldn't like to be in his position if he ever needs any help or advice from the local community - he may find it a bit thin on the ground.

But...I guess that's ok as:........ he doesn't want to 'bother anyone', people 'wave' but don't constantly come round, he doesn't want poeple to walk in off the street and come to his BBQ, he doesn't want to be best buddies with everyone who strolls up his long driveway, he thinks most French don't give a damn about the British (some of us married them - imagine that!) and...he believes the stance that French people only want to know you if it's socially or financially beneficial to them!

He sound's like the neighbour from hell - but thankfully for only 8 weeks a year.

Met his kind before and wide berth springs to mind.......(bet you he wears a Panama hat, Blazer and Chinos!)

How we have read the OP 's post differently. I think that you are being unfair S-C-L. The OP has said that they have invited people round etc and go to do's in the village. And this post reeked of desparation to me and I at least understood why.

You have no idea as to what sort of neighbour they are, not at all, and if we all start judging everyone on here by 'how' they post and then actually stating what we really 'feel' about them from the way they post, or worse, the way we 'read' their posts, then this board will be in big trouble.

Some posters, after all are rather better at getting their point across than others, and it is one thing I do rather envy them, even though I'm not an envious person by nature......... although I am starting to wonder if I should start being a pomous one, sounds like fun!

idun - now come on, don't be silly....

Sure Steve had people round:  '' We had our immediate neighbours (and not so immediate) around the first six months we were there for a meal '' i.e. 6 years ago! They have only waved since!

And as far as 'do's in the village go' - thet go to evening markets ! Stunning.....

I can only react to the information I'm given.

Oh and don't become pompous - it kills everything off apparently :-)

Must dash - we're 'en fete' in the village tonight - 48hr do! I'll probably behave liked a pissed ex-pat! :-)

[quote user="NickP"]Simon come lately is back with a vengeance. What a shame that all us second home owners are not as integrated and as "French" as Simon. It must be really hard work to be perfect like Simon [:P][/quote]

Not that hard really Nick - certainly not as hard work as being the Forum bully - bonne soirée!

I think the OP has given a possible reason for the harassment and that is resentment from a local who was interested in buying their land before them, probably could not afford it and now sees it occupied by a 'wealthy' Anglais in a spanking new house!

Unfortunately, local resentment is always a risk when an outsider buys property as a holiday home in rural France and sometimes no amount of integration will overcome this, if you are dealing with a bigot.

I'd ask them all round in the first 3 days of your visit, give them all a drink and be sociable, also invite a good French speaker, discuss any problems and promise to action any thing needed, then I'd hint that I had been ordered to take things easy on this trip and shouldn't be disturbed

I just caught up on the posts on this thread. I was going to answer some points but actually I now realise I just can't be bothered. What I will say is that whilst one member is very pleased the OP does not live near them I am sure I am not the only one who is glad I don't live near that particular member. I would love to find a proper definition of what it means to be integrated in France when you own a holiday home and come for a few weeks every year.

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]

[quote user="NickP"]Simon come lately is back with a vengeance. What a shame that all us second home owners are not as integrated and as "French" as Simon. It must be really hard work to be perfect like Simon [:P][/quote]

Not that hard really Nick - certainly not as hard work as being the Forum bully - bonne soirée!

[/quote] 

Forum bully eh! well you can certainly lay claim to that title if your "advice" on this thread is anything to go by.

[quote user="Sprogster"]I think the OP has given a possible reason for the harassment and that is resentment from a local who was interested in buying their land before them, probably could not afford it and now sees it occupied by a 'wealthy' Anglais in a spanking new house! Unfortunately, local resentment is always a risk when an outsider buys property as a holiday home in rural France and sometimes no amount of integration will overcome this, if you are dealing with a bigot.[/quote]

Oh dear me Sprogster ...does bigot = foreigner ? Honestly these French villagers really should get a grip and understand just how importamt English holiday home owners are to the local community - especially the ones that spend a whole 8 weeks in France each year.

Did I say 'pompous' earlier?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I'd ask them all round in the first 3 days of your visit, give them all a drink and be sociable, also invite a good French speaker, discuss any problems and promise to action any thing needed, then I'd hint that I had been ordered to take things easy on this trip and shouldn't be disturbed

[/quote]

Spot-on Russethouse - couldn't have put it better myself!

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Simon-come-lately"]

[/quote] 

Forum bully eh! well you can certainly lay claim to that title if your "advice" on this thread is anything to go by.

[/quote]

Nicky, Nicky, Nicky....I am not worthy of that over inflated title - the honour is all yours.

Just back from the fete - lovely night out with the 'French villagers'

[quote user="Quillan"]

I just caught up on the posts on this thread. I was going to answer some points but actually I now realise I just can't be bothered. What I will say is that whilst one member is very pleased the OP does not live near them I am sure I am not the only one who is glad I don't live near that particular member. I would love to find a proper definition of what it means to be integrated in France when you own a holiday home and come for a few weeks every year.

[/quote]

Morning Quillan - simple definition of 'Integrated' for you.....

: of or pertaining to a group or society whose members interact on the basis of commonly held norms or values.

Voila!

Simon

Not only are you a fool, which, in itself is not your fault, not everyone is fortunate enough to be blessed with intelligence. No, I'm afraid your greatest crime now is that you have become tedious, and you have become a wonderful exponent of the characteristic.

I wish you and your neighbours a lovely life and give great thanks that you don't live any where near me..