Mattress Protectors

Quillan

I had to replace our old ones, went to Carcassonne and missed my normal shop by 5 mins so went and had a look in Geant. I don't know if these are good prices but they are 20% off in the sale.

Standard Double - 16.50

King-size - 27.60

Single 12.50

They are the quilted ones with 'rubber' underneath to make them waterproof.

Quillan I am just a wee bit intrigued...I personally do not sleep on waterproof mattress protectors, cannot stand the feel of the things. I understand you only accept adults at your establishment; do you assume that some of your adult guests may wet the bed? Otherwise why should you need them?

I only ask this because if I were to book a stay at an establishment that catered for 'big people' only I would be a bit miffed to find I was sleeping on something I have not encountered since my days at kindergarten. When I have stayed at a hotel/B&B with such on the bed I have taken it off. We do use fabric protectors on our beds but not of the waterproof kind.

Is 'waterproof' necessary with regards to adults? [8-)]

I only ask this because when we took over this place people complained about the things being on the bed. Haven't used 'em since.

[quote user="Jura"]

Quillan I am just a wee bit intrigued...I personally do not sleep on waterproof mattress protectors, cannot stand the feel of the things. I understand you only accept adults at your establishment; do you assume that some of your adult guests may wet the bed? Otherwise why should you need them?

I only ask this because if I were to book a stay at an establishment that catered for 'big people' only I would be a bit miffed to find I was sleeping on something I have not encountered since my days at kindergarten. When I have stayed at a hotel/B&B with such on the bed I have taken it off. We do use fabric protectors on our beds but not of the waterproof kind.

Is 'waterproof' necessary with regards to adults? [8-)]

I only ask this because when we took over this place people complained about the things being on the bed. Haven't used 'em since.

[/quote]

It is a requirement of both GDF and Clevacances and will be checked during an inspection both prearranged or 'spot' not that I know of anyone who has had the latter.

These things are not the old style 'rubber' things, they look just like any normal protector, like say the antiallergenic ones. The ones I use are quilted and actually make the beds more comfortable, you wouldn't know they were there.

Mattress protectors these days are pretty amazing.  My husband (please note, Mr Quillan [:)]) runs our B&B in the UK and they are a quality assurance requirement.  They help fend off all sorts of nasties that could lurk in mattresses.

I'm afraid that guests do wet the beds in all sorts of ways. [Www]  They also cater for guests' "time of the month" problems.  You cannot feel or hear the rubber layer as the quilting masks it.

In the good old days, when my mother made beds for me, we always had underblankets and so the mattress protectors have just replaced these.

Oooh, this is my 666th posting.  Spooky.

Thanks for that.

I wish there was a good book that would give me all this information,as I havn't got a clue but want to get it right.

We have bought our place and will have to let it out until our son goes to uni (2 yrs time) I have been buying bedding when i see it on offer.So far i have bought 300 thread count egyptian cotton sheets and duvet covers in white.Some egyptian cotton towels in white.Some E C waterproof mattress covers but these cost £15 each in the sales they are anti bacterial too.Am I doing this right?I also have bought nice throws for the ends of the beds.Shall I have 2 of everything in the way of bedding.Can you tell me how many bath towels for a 4 bedroomed house?

Thanks

Thanks for that

I was reading on the cardboard that was in my mattress protector bag and it says that the average human being sweats out 1 pint of water a night and if your mattress takes this in it will quickly go mouldy.Its a horrible thought isnt it?

[quote user="cowoman"]it says that the average human being sweats out 1 pint of water a night and if your mattress takes this in it will quickly go mouldy.[/quote]

This is definitely the dodgiest & most inaccurate thread for ages. 

My discharges are at least 50% CdR, which are well known to negate the possibility of mould.  

People sweating is only a minor problem which is countered by having the fleece covering.  The good protectors also 'breath' allowing air to pass out of the matres but stop water from passing downwards in to the mattress. To be quite honest sweat is not a problem it's more like body fluids (people don't stop making loves just because they are on holiday), diarrhoea, vomiting (with red wine is always a good one), hot and cold drinks etc. It also stops skin flakes from getting in the mattress.

Obviously we change the protector if it gets soiled but other than that it gets changed every 4 weeks when we do a complete room strip which includes curtains, bed valance, under the bed, mattress turn, lamp shades, pictures etc which seems (what with the lack of information as to when to change the protectors normally) to be about right. We also have an anti-allergenic quilt protector on top of the waterproof one and this gets washed with the sheets at change over or every three days.

White bedding, without question, is definitely the way to go. Good quality is essential as we boil wash ours every time. This is not so much of a cleaning  thing as a germ killing thing. Bit like using the dishwasher on a boil wash. This dramatically reduces the chance of any guest catching something nasty off another.

Towels, we have bought towels from many places over the years and have found that whilst the hotel ones are expensive they far out perform domestic towels in both quality and length of service. This may be because they are designed to be washed by commercial laundry companies which are renown for being a bit 'harsh'. It's things like seams and like some of ours have a band going across. These seem to shrink in respect to the rest of the towel and makes them look out of shape. This is time consuming as you have to pull and stretch them to  get the right shape for 'laying out'.You don't get this problem with hotel towels. Something we are talking about is to rent our sheets and towels as here is a hotel 4km down the road (and about 3 more within 8km) that rents so we may be able to do a deal with the service company.

I think the washing point highlighted by Quillan above is certainly one to consider when running a CdH/B&B, when you take the frequency of the changeovers.

With a gite, I do a thorough bed-clean whenever guests leave and the sheets/towels once a week, but as some guests stay for 2 weeks, the underlay/protectors get changed and washed when they leave.