UK bankers relocating to Europe

Alan Zoff

Not for the first time I will ask what is probably a daft question but let me down gently, please.

The media are full of news of London bankers being asked to relocate to Europe if they want to keep their jobs in the Brexit era. Does that mean that bankers are exempted from the general rules and regulations about moving to Europe from the UK?

Many could already be Europeans so moving would be easy. There will always be a bit of coming and going over the years; one can imagine that some countries might be pressuring their financial institutions to relocate.

One can imagine Macron will be calling on all his banking chums to ‘come on over to us’!

If not an EU citizen, then work permits would be required.

However, if you are a highly paid, qualified and therefore probably wealthy investment banker, then work permits are not a problem! Especially, if it helps European financial centres compete with London, New York and Singapore.

Most countries, including France, Spain, Italy and the UK are very keen to attract wealthy individuals, who will make a valuable financial contribution to their treasuries, to the extent they will offer tax incentives.

• 3 weeks later...
2/3 years ago I lived 5-10 minutes from La Defense.

Mr Macron has a few problems with his grand banking designs.

1) Their is no 'decent' accomodation to house all these bankers. Compared to London they are going to think 'WTF' is this place ? I'm not living here.

It really is that bad.

(No you can't commute)

2) There is nothing to do. It is boring as hell. No young swanky banker will want to live there.

3) If these bankers have kids, the last place you want to put your kids into a school is anywhere near La Defense.

If I was a banker, I would work in London.

So yeah...good luck with that Mr Macron.

My only visit, with a friend who then lived in Neuilly, I remember it being windy and not particularly scenic.  I think we went because once upon a time (she's now dead and even then was retired) she worked there and she was showing me some of her old haunts as a way of seeing non-tourist Paris!   She let me do the tourist thing on my own, but her knowledge allowed  me to skip the queue for the Louvre, just by using the  metro and knowing which stop to get off at!  Such feiends, sadly missed, are the gems in this world!