moving to be with family in france from italy

skipper

Hi new to forum. I am British national and I have been living in Italy since 2018 and have residency permit here and healthcare etc. My son lives (for 20 years, works married to French lady kids etc) in Savoie nr Chambery. I am retired, early 70s living alone and my sons would prefer I move to be near them given advancing age, Covid etc. My son has bought a house for me to live in down the road from him but sale will not complete till 21 Oct. I/we have visited all the relevant Govt Brexit websites regarding the various options for Visa applications etc bur remain confused as to the actual best way to proceed. Prior to moving to Italy I lived in France from 2007 to 2018 and still have my old Carte Vitale (will it still work?) and my tax code reference. Will either of these be useful? Is there anyone out there who has experience of this particular set of circumstances, or who knows how I/we need to get this done properly without any mistakes that could land me in the mire! I understand that I will need private health cover for at least three months till I can get back on the CPAM register but : which visa will I need and how can I get it given I will not be able to move into the house my son has bought for me till October .....past the Sept 21 cut off date? I will be hugely grateful for some expert advice - many thanks.

We aren't experts but collectively we may be able to discuss it.

1) I suggest you use French sites such as

2) YES the number on your CV and your tax reference will be a big step forward.

It may be an idea for your family to investigate if they can welcome you as a family member

Sorry that I can't give more help to start with. Others may have more information.

If you have health care in Italy courtesy of an S1 then the act of applying for that should have immediately triggered France to demand the surrender of your Carte Vitale.

I know this from 1st. hand experience of moving from France to Spain in 2018.

I was quite surprised how swiftly that demand came after applying for new S1's for Spain.

It came by post to my (then) temporary address in Spain and the only way they could have possibly have learnt that was from DWP to whom I gave it in order for them to send me new one.

[quote user="skipper"]Hi new to forum. I am British national and I have been living in Italy since 2018 and have residency permit here and healthcare etc............................................................................. Prior to moving to Italy I lived in France from 2007 to 2018 and still have my old Carte Vitale .............................[/quote]

When you left France you should have informed the tax and health authorities, at which time you might have been asked to surrender your Carte Vitale, which, however, should have become invalid if not regularly updated in the normal way.

Details for moving to France are HERE

• 9 months later...

This is quite an old thread. The OP only made two visits and has since vanished. It is a shame that other members take the trouble to give help and advice that is probably never read or acknowledged.

I assume he has settled in France near his family and has sorted out his residency status. It was certainly a difficult situation and it would have been helpful to know the process he followed.

This is quite an old thread. The OP only made two visits and has since vanished. It is a shame that other members take the trouble to give help and advice that is probably never read or acknowledged.

I assume he has settled in France near his family and has sorted out his residency status. It was certainly a difficult situation and it would have been helpful to know the process he followed.

My previous post was in response to a very recent posting regarding the content of this old thread. That posting has now vanished! Therefore, whoever edited the thread, perhaps you can delete all of my posts here as they are now irrelevant. Thank you.

I expect the reply was from a spammer, with a link to a site selling something.  When that post was deleted by a mod the forum software would have shown the post previous to that as a new post, and bumped it into the recent posts.