Laundry charges

[quote user="Wisigoth"]

Our local CAT (www.ateliers-chantecler.com) charges either 0.65 or 0.85cts plus tva per sheet for washing and ironing depending whether they are poly-cotton or linen and 0.30cts for a pillowcase.  I took 10 sheets the first time. They know we have four guest bedrooms and don't go every week so I think we've done very well.

[/quote]

Just caught up afer a hectic few days. This is a very good deal and a quick bash with the old calculator makes it almost the same as doing it yourself, well near enough to make it preferable to send the washing out. Something I would be interested in I must say, I wonder what I could do with the spare time [;-)] .

ah...spare time - something our guests have in abundance - we too could sit & read a book all day or spend hours on end doing Sudoku, relax by the pool, have tennis lessons.....go out for a long leisurely lunch......something we can only dream about during the season..........roll on November.  If no washing & ironing to do then would probably do more gardening, spend longer doing the cleaning, pool maintance, shopping etc, but maybe could slip in the occasional leisurely lunch

November, thats the month when you start the painting, decorating, fix all the things the guests broke over the past season etc, etc. This year its painting two rooms and fitting a new kitchen and creating a new downstairs toilet and shower room. Hopefully the three new gite shells should be finished so the garden around them has to be re-landscaped and with a bit of luck the insides installed and decorated. Then it's Christmas and New Year which brings the family together for nearly two weeks at our place. Hopefully we will get a weeks break in Feb and stay with family down in Spain. Easy life this B&B job. [;-)]

Ah yes - maintenance......you have just described our December, January, February routine, then magical March when we start cleaning up the pool area, grass cutting, landscaping, pressure washing, opening up the gites etc - we have a mad splurge of gite decorating March/April - have learnt from experience not to do it prior to closing them up for the winter - you can get a nasty surprise come spring....so now wait for it to warm up a bit before painting, wallpapering etc...  Our happiest month is probably October in that the pool is off, the grass has stopped growing & all our friends start appearing, so just as much work with washing, ironing & feeding them - enough said on that subject...lets just say I REALLY need that holiday by the end of the month......November is our time when we put our feet up occasionally, visit the tourist attractions off season, go to cinema, have lunch out & head off somewhere completely different for a couple of weeks - ideally sunny, so we can be the guests for a change - bit of a busman's holiday usually, but does us good to be on the receiving end & remind us of why we keep doing it year after year.  As from tonite we have guests every day till mid-October - no more lie-ins, & completely full-house for July & August - that's a lot of breakfasts.......still as Jeremy Hardy would say 'musn't grumble' - we are doing a lot better than some near us this year.

Have a good season Quillan

It's not been a bed of roses down here either with the average bookings down some 25% on last year. It is the worst weather for 30 + years. Never been more than 3 days without rain although it might now be OK till the weekend. It will probably snow after that[:D]. The only satisfaction is that it is the same in Belgium and Spain, probably the same in other european countries as well. I know Spain has had a bit of rain and has been colder than normal as we have family living there and they are not very happy with the weather.

For the first year ever we have had cancelations, one because of fuel prices (they were driving down from the UK), the other because they were stuck in Spain and the Frontier was closed because of lorry drivers blockading it about fuel costs. We would normally be full for June, July and August but there are some gaps still you never know it might pick up.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Lachouette"]We've been trying our local CAT laundry when we've been  overwhelmed by bed changes but have yet to succeed in getting them to charge us anything other than the normal punter rate to do the sheets and duvet covers.  .

[/quote]

Just an update.........CAT will iron what we've washed and dried for 1.36€ a kilo.  This is brilliant when you consider the hassle of ironing bedding when you're already tired doing meals and cleaning rooms!

Jan