wedding parties

water rat

Hallelujah! the first Sept!

Can't find the original thread on this subject, but have just had a full house of wedding guests for the weekend. Seem to remember there was lots of wingeing  from B&B'ers about extra arrivals. Well, we had an extra aunt and uncle who wanted just to get spruced up and changed . We decided, as each room has it's own water tank so a limited amount of hot water and I wouldn't put in any extra towels that there wouldn't be any extra expense on our part so treated it as goodwill.

As is usual for a nation of soap dodgers hardly any towels were used anyway . They've all just left the place in a very tidy state.

In fact last week we had a family of 5 for one night. Grandparents ,parents and one child  and the grand total of 1 small hand towel was used and nobody had a shower. I thought it was a myth,the french being afraid of  soap and water,but after 4 years of doing B&B it seems to be true.The reverse is true of the Brits ,who can't seem to get enough hot water!

W Rat

could write a book on the subject - in 5 years have very rarely had a French guest use more than 1 towel/stay & some don't appear to enter the bathroom at all especially if here for a wedding party ie usually staying barely 5 hours......saw a survey report on French TV recently that 40% of French people do not own a toothbrush....can count on the fingers of 1 hand how many of our guests have brought one with them when they stay......

the Brits on the other hand seem to fall into 2 categories a) those who bath at least once daily.......  b) the 'too posh to wash category' - we have had a lot of these this season & apart from the untidy rooms they are a joy to clean up after........ can now spot which group our guests will fall into the minute they arrive as it is quite regional as well..........Above all we like the French best as they are always tidy, make their beds, are always very appreciative etc etc  Shame that they have a tendancy to forget that they will be bringing a child/dog/granny, but always seem to have an inflatable mattress in the back of the car.........

I'll echo your thoughts on the french and definitely prefer them as guests to any other nationality. They are always so appreciative and seem pleasantly surprised on arrival.I dread to think what horreurs they have found prviously!

Several times french guests have assumed their private en suite bathroom will be used by the other guests even if this means coming into their own room!

Although  we do not accept dogs some have arrived with them and we've chosen to see how it goes as we have been mainly worried about our chucks, but so far they've all been well behaved.

W Rat