Doing the ironing - Sheets, pillows etc

osie

Hi All

I am looking for an iron for our hotel as using a normal iron seems to take a long time when doing sheets and I think it would be a good investment.

The question:

Can you reccommend a suitable iron.  I seem to remember looking at one a while back for 1000€+-

Is it quicker... more efficient. etc etc

Thanks in advance

osie

Sorry - can't help with recommendations for irons, it's something I just don't do!

However, it struck me that 1000 euros would pay for quite a few pressing services at your local laundry; just wash and dry the sheets and take them there! Just think of all the leisure time you'd have.

[quote user="zeb"]

However, it struck me that 1000 euros would pay for quite a few pressing services at your local laundry; just wash and dry the sheets and take them there! Just think of all the leisure time you'd have.

[/quote]

I agree!  Our local CAT laundry will iron for 1.36€/kilo............that's a lot of laundry for your 1000€.

Jan

As often as possible ,I try to take the sheets straight off the line and onto the beds sans ironing. They always look  better and smell fresher than those that have been ironed and folded. It saves loads of time and I usually have just the pillowcases to do.

Mind you I think this only works in a soft water area.I also use the eco friendly balls with some sort of ionising pellets in them and the towels stay beautifully soft. I just use detergent to spot treat.

W Rat

Get yourself a Miele roller iron - save yourself time & money in the long term as well as your sanity........we have a busy 4 room B&B & 2 gites & it has been worth its weight in gold the last 3 years - could not live without it now.  Cost us 900 euros from Metro, but if going back to UK anytime, probably cheaper to buy in John Lewis or Macro with current exchange rate....

Can I ask a suplementary question please?  (sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread)

On a domestic rather than an 'industrial' ironing note,  I am wondering if these 'vapeur central' type of irons are any improvement over a normal steam iron? Or that the cheaper ones are necessarily any worse than the expensive ones.  In my local hypermarket, there are ones ranging from 39€ to 300€ and steam pressure ranging from 3 to 5 bar.  Would I be wasting my money?  I really only need to do a stack of shirts and some trousers etc each week but I hate doing it and getting the creases out is a pain. 

The sheets would never get a look in I'm afraid [:$]

Roller Irons - From what I have read here over the years you either love them or hate them. I have to say I have never tried one personally but it seems a lot of money to spend only to find you can't get on with it. I did find one on Ebay France, currently 75 Euros HERE.

Personally we have a Delonghi which has a separate steam tank that refiles without having to switch it off and let it cool, thats very important. So is the bar pressure, the higher the pressure the more you can fold the sheet to iron it. Basically with 5 Bar you can fold the sheet twice and then iron it. The other thing is to have two because they are not always available in shops to buy and when they do break down you can bet your money that it's the day you have a full set of sheets to iron and there is none to be had in the shops.

Hi water rat,

could you please give me more info about those eco friendly balls - what are they called, where do you buy them etc.?? I am very interested to use them, especially since you mention beautifully soft towels and I can't stand fabric softeners. Thank you!

For rotary irons, check your local AngloInfo site - certainly the Normandy one sometimes has them available second-hand.

Those of you with rotary irons, how difficult is it to get the sheets and duvet covers immaculately folded pre-pressing?

I have ecoballs (as it were [:P]) and I find they only work for "clean"

washing. Anything properly dirty needs washing with detergent at 40 deg

C - no matter what the ads tell you.

http://www.ecozone.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=314

[quote user="Catalpa"]For rotary irons, check your local AngloInfo site - certainly the Normandy one sometimes has them available second-hand.

Those of you with rotary irons, how difficult is it to get the sheets and duvet covers immaculately folded pre-pressing?

[/quote]

Apologies for not replying sooner - have had a busy couple of days with changeovers......but in answer to your question, so long as you have 2 of you to fold properly no problem at all, especially the sheets.  For the duvet covers you need to do a tighter fold, but certainly have not experienced any problems.  Make sure you buy the top of the range one though with the metre wide roller which will easily accommodate king/queen size sheets & duvet covers folded into 4.  Life has been so much easier since we had it, can't believe I ironed by hand for 2 years & almost went mad in the process, especially during the season...........like today I have 34 pillowcases & 18 sheets waiting to be ironed........ Ironing now is quite pleasant as I get to sit down for an hour or so & if combined with listening to an afternoon play I can actually look forward to doing it - how sad I have become - time for a holiday of our own I think........

I washed and ironed all our bed linen here when we first arrived but had to look for an alternative when, in my pregnant state, my middle got too big to sit at the ironing table. Why not use a blanchisserie...? they pick up and deliver - it sure transformed my life!

I do know a cheapish - 1€/sheet laundry service but that is 15km away. Although I have not done the sums I think in the long run the ease of having a machine at home and the cost should work out for the best.  The season is quite tireing and anything to make life easier is worth its wait in gold(except maybe an elephant).

At the moment the pfaff 580 seems the best bet as it is also the larger roller model..

regards

osie

• 2 weeks later...
We also purchased a roller iron - a Miele 895B, one metre wide and ironing (for 3 gites) has gone from being an endless chore to almost being a pleasure. It is foot pedal operated and will steam iron for 20 minutes on one litre of water. It cost me 1,000 euros from a discount website.

I have been looking at the miele 895 too... It seems to be about the same price as the pfaff.  However miele is a good brand...

holding my horses for the moment and maybe see what the New year sales will bring.

My gut feeling tells me that one of these machines will help no end...